Mothering Forum banner

Shall the Vaccinations Forum include memes?

• Yay

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 1 11.1%
1 - 20 of 758 Posts

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a request to the moderators that this forum once again include member posted memes. Our kindly guide and manager pointed out that copyright would be an issue and that anyone who posted a meme would need to be able to show that there was no problem with copyright.

Are there other issues? Discuss. I'll keep this thread near the top for a couple of weeks so y'all have a chance to vote and comment.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
24,467 Posts
I had a lot of fun with the last thread that featured memes - 1000s of them!

I do not understand the copyright thing - we are not profiting from posting and I never said any of them were mine, so what is the problem?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I had a lot of fun with the last thread that featured memes - 1000s of them!

I do not understand the copyright thing - we are not profiting from posting and I never said any of them were mine, so what is the problem?
i also don't get the copyright thing..thousands of memes posted all over FB/other internet social sites without credit to the mememaker -- isn't that a violation too? Or, people pull stock photos from google and add their own words -- no copyright infringement happening in that type of situation, if the pic used doesn't have a watermark or other identifying symbol.

What about those of us who draw and make our own memes?

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
It is only illegal to share a meme with a copyright symbol on it. https://thelawtog.com/memes-violate-copyright-law/

I have never, ever seen such a meme.

A reasonable policy would be to allow use of memes and infographics that A) don't have a copyright symbol and B) don't violate MDC's UA, (e.g. insults and name-calling).

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is only illegal to share a meme with a copyright symbol on it. https://thelawtog.com/memes-violate-copyright-law/

A reasonable policy would be to allow use of memes and infographics that A) don't have a copyright symbol and B) don't violate MDC's UA, (e.g. insults and name-calling).
I'm wondering if our kindly hosts may have liability for what they permit. The forums include advertising and if a meme attracts an additional 1,000 people, that probably means a little more income.

Copyright stuff is immensely confusing.

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bumping this up in the hope that a few more people will see it and respond.

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about posting this you like to watch such as videos could we do that or would it fall under this copyright thing?
Interesting question.

Here are the rules: https://www.mothering.com/forum/178...ng-com/1605623-mothering-com-forum-rules.html

10. You may only post material and content that you own. Posting copyrighted material, trademarks, and other violations of the DMCA is prohibited.

Usually, when someone posts a video, they are posting a link to another site that hosts that video. So you aren't actually putting the content on this page, only a link to that content.

When we post a meme, we are actually pasting in an image with pictures and words.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
I have no issue with memes as long as they do not break the UA.

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only six votes so far.

·
Registered
600 Posts

I don't see in that link anything about copyright symbols--what am I missing? It seems like legality is determined based on a four-factor fair use analysis.

I don't have an issue with memes personally, but I would understand it if mothering.com's lawyers didn't think it was worth the risk.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I don't have an issue with memes personally, but I would understand it if mothering.com's lawyers didn't think it was worth the risk.

MDC has lawyers??? :bigeyes

·
Registered
600 Posts
MDC has lawyers??? :bigeyes
I have no specific knowledge about whether they do, but I would assume that MDC (or, more likely, whatever company owns MDC) either has lawyers on staff or has outside counsel, who would be consulted on questions like this.

For example, I assume the language here was written by, or in consultation with, MDC's attorneys:

https://www.mothering.com/articles/terms-of-use/

ETA that I read a bit further in that link and see that VerticalScope, which owns MDC, has a legal department that handles MDC copyright issues:

Copyright Infringement Policy

MOTHERING.COM and VerticalScope Inc. reserve the right, but not the obligation, to terminate your license to use the Web Site if determined in the sole and absolute discretion of MOTHERING.COM or VerticalScope Inc. that you are involved in infringing activity, including alleged acts of first-time or repeat infringement, regardless of whether the material or activity is ultimately determined to be infringing. MOTHERING.COM and VerticalScope Inc. accommodate and do not interfere with standard technical measures used by copyright owners to protect their materials. In addition, MOTHERING.COM and VerticalScope Inc. have implemented procedures for receiving written notification of claimed infringements and for processing such claims. If you are a copyright owner who believes your copyrighted material has been reproduced, posted or distributed via the Web Site in a manner that constitutes copyright infringement, please inform our designated copyright agent by sending a written complaint that complies with the requirements below to our designated agent by registered mail or courier:

VerticalScope Legal Department
111 Peter Street, Suite 901
Toronto, ON
M5V 2H1
CANADA
mailto: [email protected]

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I know that when Peggy/Cynthia took the option away years ago, the rationale was to avoid UAVs because memes can often be insulting. I thought it was overkill because there are all memes that aren't, but obviously none of us were in a position to argue.

I did find some interesting dirt on VerticalScope and copyright, however. https://bardsandsages.com/juliedawson/2018/09/19/verticalscopes-overreaching-tos/

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

This really inaccurate meme is turning up over and over again.

1 - 20 of 758 Posts