Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking into buying our 2-year old son his first bed. We cannot afford organic so we are looking at latex rubber or memory foam both with either cotton or bamboo covers. Any thoughts? Advice? I called our pediatrician and asked whether memory foam provided enough support for a developing spine and she seemed to think so...I have my doubts but I have only napped on a memory foam bed.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I've heard the off gassing from memory foam is really bad. I'm pretty sure latex rubber is a much better choice, healthwise.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
I've heard the off gassing from memory foam is really bad. I'm pretty sure latex rubber is a much better choice, healthwise.
: I would definitely go for the latex. I have one and it is very comfy.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I did a lot of research a few years ago when we bought our bed and there is tons of negative info out there about the off-gassing of memory foam and the health issues arising from its use.

Currently we're also in the process of buying a first bed for our son. Futons are supposed to be really good for children and support. In trying to get the most natural mattress possible for our budget a futon seems the best choice for him. I'm looking at possibly getting one from Small Wonders and then getting a wool topper for it. Not organic, but for half the price of the cheapest organic one I found I think it may be a good compromise. At least there won't be any icky flame retardants or foam off-gassing.

ETA: After talking to the owner today it seems that they do use a boric acid flame retardant on the cotton batting. You can get a prescription and pay an extra fee for this to be left off. Going back to research other options....

·
Registered
406 Posts
Latex!

We just replaced our own bed, and for budgetary reasons didn't get a latex mattress (regular firm mattress with 2" latex topper-sooooo comfy!), but I read up on them. They're very long lasting (25 year lifespan vs. 10 year lifespan for a regular mattress) and offer excellent support. Actually, you might be better off with a regular medium support mattress and a 2" latex topper, b/c if you buy a twin sized mattress now, I doubt your son will still be sleeping on a twin mattress after college (and w/ a 25 year life span, a latex mattress would last him until the age of 27).

I read lots of reviews of memory foam mattresses from unhappy people who didn't like the dents/indentations that form. Plus, they feel super weird (at least to me). The latex mattresses also feel a little weird if you're not used to them, but not nearly as weird as the "sinking into" sensation of the memory foam mattresses.

Definitely go into a store (or three) and lie down on the actual mattresses (even if you don't buy from them).

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
The priority really doesn't need to be organic. Organic is a luxury. You want non-toxic first.

Memory foam is supposed to be the worst choice of all. Terrible off-gassing.

Natural latex is very safe, no off gassing, but is expensive. Are you sure you are looking at natural versions? They are more expensive than so-called organic.

Organic just means the fiber is certified. A lot of organic matresses are green-washed. They still have toxic flame retardants that are the real issues. Ikea supposedly uses a less toxic flame retardant process (borax based) which you might consider.

Otherwise a simple cotton/wool (wool provides the required flame retardant option) matress or futon are good choices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.