Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cotton sheets have small holes in them, and I'm excited about mending them. The colors on them are rather dull, and I'm envisioning sewing on bright patches of fabric to make them look more lively! I'm not really sure how to go about it, though, and my googling efforts didn't come up with anything helpful.<br>
Can anybody share some advice with me, pretty please?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Well, it depends on what you're dealing with. I've repaired large tears in bed sheet with patches, or small holes (cat claws) just with embroidery floss.<br><br>
For the large tears, I first put a press cloth over the ironing board, lay the sheet face down and line the edges back up as well as I can. Then I cover it with a strip of interfacing large enough to hold the edges in place and iron it down. That prevents everything from shifting. Then I flip it back over and cut a piece of fabric in a strip wide enough to give good coverage - round your corners. Pin it in place and do a wide tight zig zag around the edges. Ideally this will attach all 3 layers together (interfacing, sheet and patch). Then go back and trim any loose threads, any edges peeking out (both interfacing and patch), etc. I usually use flannel for this so it's nice and soft (make sure it's pre-shrunk).<br><br>
With little holes, I just put the sheet in an embroidery hoop and darn it with a couple strands of matching thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts