Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read somewhere that there is a relation between menstrual cramps and morning sickness....so i am just wondering....i usually had very bad menstrual cramps...then terrible morning sickness and unbearable labor contractions of very long labor (40 hours...
) ...anyone else??

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I never get cramps, had hyperemesis, and had a long painful labor (53 hours of labor/delivery)...so, I had 2 out of 3...

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I have extremely severe menstrual cramps. With DD1 I got a little queasy, but never vomited. With DD2 I never had the least bit of morning sickness. Though, I always got really bad morning sickness when I took birth control pills. My labor contractions were just painless squeezes, it was my cervix and pushing past it that hurt (I had a swollen lip). Very short labor with #2, like three hours. Never went into labor at all with DD1.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I don't see a correlation here, either. I had really bad cramps (curled up in bed 1 day a month), mild/moderate morning sickness (nauseated all the time, only vomited once, went away by 11 weeks), and contractions were, well, painful but not horrible. Only about 3hrs of my labor was really painful, the whole 4cm-10cm part, but it went pretty fast. I was induced at 8am and started contracting right away, but had I been able to go into labor on my own I don't think I would have noticed I was in labor until around 1pm when I was about 3cm. The real pain didn't start until 2-3pm.

Sorry for the over-explaining. It's just so hard to qualify if a pain is 'bad' because it's such a personal, subjective thing. Maybe the correlation is that some people are more sensitive to pain and so they are more likely to characterize their cramps and contractions both as very painful? Kwim? The correlation may be something to do with how that person feels pain, and they may also be more likely to say a broken arm is a 10 on the pain scale while someone else may say it's a 6?

If nausea is a form of pain (and I say it is! worse than pain! lol) then that would fit my theory too. ?

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I only ever get menstrual cramps when I'm also under a lot of stress.

I had hyperemesis.

Labor with my first was 'textbook', with my second it was very short and very, very little of it is what I'd categorize as 'painful'.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
So I will say maybe for some people. I have not had cramps until now in my middle age. But with pregnancy #1 I threw up all the time, but not enough to loose weight I even remember throwing up early in the day before labor the day I had her. - it was before I really knew how to cook much and ate like crap- as my nutrition improved morning sickness started going away. My 3rd child I had no morning sickness what so ever but at that time I was getting b shots from Dr Lendon Smith to prevent morning sickness.
So now to the point that you want to know about there is a connection between COX2 prostaglandins and the stomach and uterine cramps. Including a drug used for ulcers- miprosol/cytotec is used off label for induction and it causes abnormally strong contractions. there is another connection that has to do with essential fatty acids , when the body converts certain kinds of fatty acids aracadonic acid is produced and it can be irritating to smooth muscles usually for women who are having menstrual cramps we have them eat olive oil or some other cold pressed oil instead of just vegetable oil or hydrogentated oil often recommend a flax seed supplement and do a work up to rule out other things like PCOS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.