Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be discussing menstruation with a 9 yo? I have been reading of earlier and earlier puberty. And even though 11 is still considered young, I got mine at 11. I don't know if I should be expecting dd to get it at 9. It seems crazy because she clearly doesn't seem ready for it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I recently introduced the subject to my 6 year old. I kept it simple and told her we had lots of time to talk more about the details later. She took it in stride and seemed happy to understand what my stash of period supplies is for. I don't expect her to menstruate any time soon, but I have heard of it occurring in very young girls, and I don't think it hurts to give her a heads up about the ways her body will change some day. I will add the the subject came up naturally. I wouldn't have necessarily planned to discuss it for another 2 years.

·
Registered
530 Posts
She's not likely to get her period if she hasn't started developing breasts at all yet. I brought it up with my daughter (9) a few months ago, but she doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime really soon. She was neither upset nor especially interested. I just would rather have it be a topic that's already out there when it does happen.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
If she's budding breasts and getting pimples, definitely go for it. If she isn't showing signs, you can still bring it up from time to time in the right context.

We just got a book from the library on changing bodies, read it together, and addressed questions. Simple.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I'm pretty easy going about nudity and stuff. Sometimes the kids will walk in on me in the bathroom. So, the "what are you doing, mom" has come up. I've talked about things as they come up. It's no big talk. Just a general conversation about everyday stuff.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I had seen some toilet paper with red spots thrown in the trash can, so that had got me worried. She said it was some scratching of her bug bite or something like that that made her bleed. She seemed a little shocked when I had a talk, so I got a book from the library. Her first reaction was that it had inappropriate words. :laugh: Anyways, it was good that I prepared her because the book was pretty decent. No one told me what to expect, so I found it satisfying too, apart from the fact that she needed to know just in case. Anyway, the book said unless they don't have pubic hair they won't get their period. FYI. ( I didn't know that.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts