Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still breastfeeding my first child (4-5 times). Got 1st period 23 months after giving birth. Had another one in 26 days, but now is almost 2 months passed and no period. I am 42. I saw other mothers have periods ranging 3-12 months passed giving birth. Not sure if there are other women that had similar situation. I was never missing periods prior to pregnancy. Have hypothyroid, that is currently in the "range". Almost seemed that I had like a mild hotflashes, something never experienced before. Not sure if this is a start of menopouse, or just changing hormones as milk supply is going lower. Child never had pacifiers, co-sleeping, worked fulled time after the 1st year, though child was brought in to work to feed twice a day and later once a day till was 20 months. Have other friend ( she is 41) that started period 25 months passed birth but do not know if this is common.<br>
Any insight, suggestion would be appreciated. Pregnancy is not a case here.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't think I can help here, but I would suggest that a blood test for FSH might be helpful or discuss this with your GYN. 23 months does seem like a long time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi, I'm 30, my LO is 23 months, and I also have controlled hypothyroid. I had one period at 22 months so far. There's a thread over in Family Planning (Fertility) I think re women who are waiting for menses to return - it's longer that 12months for plenty of women, although 22+months does seem to be on the long side. I think it's normal for periods to be irregular for a little while before your body re-establishes fertility. Also check out kellymom.com for stats on fertility/cycle return. I'm also feeling some random hormonal symptoms, which, like irregular cycles, I didn't have before.<br><br>
So, I guess I'm saying that what your experiencing doesn't sound abnormal to me. But whether you're hitting menopause or not I have no idea (what's your family history?) As for the thyroid, are you getting routine follow up? I understand that as breastfeeding tapers and hormones adjust your levels might change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blackird2<br><br>
I appreciate your thorough response and resources. I do not know family history. But my thyroid post pregnancy was really hectic. Finally is settled after med change in January. Just checked TSH and F4 and they are ok. I am at the highest level of meds I ever been. My little one was really laborious for getting up at night and she still does, but not as much as before. Understandably I was sleep deprived for 2 years, which I think affected thyroid.<br>
I am not even sure if technically you can start menopause while breastfeeding, which I still do that (couple times at night and 2-3 a day, of course some of the feedings are not as long as they were year ago).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interestingly, statistics at kellymom.com says that with “eco feeding” 48% of women start menstruation 12-24 months passed birth, and 8% more than 24 months. I guess, it is possible that I am someone from the 8%.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts