1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See article from the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tingweb29.html

Quote:
The gunman who forced his way into the offices of the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle on Friday afternoon put a gun at the back of a 13-year-old girl to gain entry to the building, police said this afternoon.

The man who described himself as a Muslim American angry with Israel then opened fire with two handguns, killing one woman and wounding five others before surrendering to police.
Apparently this man, who was arrested after the shootings, has a history of mental illness.

Sounds like a really scary time for both Jews and Muslims in Seattle.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I find it interesting that you point out that he was mentally ill.

He busted in there spewing about Isreal.

Quote:
He rattled off anti-Israel slurs and commanded people not to dial 911.
IMO this was a hate crime.

Quote:
Haq, described as a studious loner, was raised in the Tri-Cities area and his family has close ties to the local Muslim community center.
This was a Muslim shooting up the offices of the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle. He took his anger at Israel out on Seattle Jews.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRED
I find it interesting that you point out that he was mentally ill.
IMO this was a hate crime.
Yes. The fact that he had a history of mental illness does not negate that this was a hate crime. Both things can be true at the same time.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
i just saw an interview with a former aquaintance of the guy - saying, yeah he seemed totally normal. He looks like a normal shlubby bald guy.

Haq had a misdemeanor record for exposing himself.

I think I will go to Pam Waechter's funeral on Monday.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pamelamama

I think I will go to Pam Waechter's funeral on Monday.
Do you know the family? What a terrible thing for them.

Is everything okay for you? i don't know if you go to synagogue regularly or what, but i was thinking about how scary it is to go into Jewish spaces right after something like this happens.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pamelamama
i just saw an interview with a former aquaintance of the guy - saying, yeah he seemed totally normal. He looks like a normal shlubby bald guy.

Haq had a misdemeanor record for exposing himself.
I heard a radio guy today talking about this phenomenon. Does anyone ever day, "yeah, I knew he was just off and I stayed away from him!" ?

Everyone always says, "he looked/seemed so normal."

Anyway. Awful, tragic. As a mother, the picture of the pregnant woman trying to protect her belly was especially wrenching.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Sickening.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRED

This was a Muslim shooting up the offices of the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle. He took his anger at Israel out on Seattle Jews.
Apparently, not.

He was a mentally ill man who found an excuse for an act he likely would have committed anyway.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahdokht
Apparently, not.

He was a mentally ill man who found an excuse for an act he likely would have committed anyway.
This whole thing is just so sad.

Quote:
He had told the group's leader that he seen too much anger in Islam and that he wanted to find a new beginning in Christianity.

Yet in the midst of his shooting spree in Seattle Friday, he declared himself an angry Muslim.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You don't have to be mentally healthy to plan out a hate crime. i thought the original article emphasized his mental illness, and it doesn't seem like he was well.

Anyway the net effect is the same, whether this guy was a Christian or a Muslim, and whether or not he was mentally competant and responsible for his actions.

First, that at least one person died and a lot of people were severely injured.

Second, that people in the Jewish community in Seattle and in the rest of the United States are going to be scared.

Third, that Muslims who go to mosques and other Islamic institutions, have Muslim or Arabic-sounding surnames are going to be subjected to even more harassment.

It's a bad thing. After 9/11, all the synagogues and churches in my area sent messages of support to the one large mosque. We made some contacts then. it's probably not really going to be possible to do something like that now, because of the war. But I wish we could. It would feel a lot better to me if Jews and Muslims in the United States could at least be on the same side about protecting our folks in our institutions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts