Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make merangues, but the egg white mixture isn't getting all light and fluffy and stiff. The sugar is already added. So it's 3 egg whites and about 2 cups of confectioner's sugar, and it's just not turning into merangues.

Is there any way to save these merangues? If I put this in the fridge for later, will the egg whites fall? Can I use this somewhat fluffy-ish egg white/sugar mixture in another recipe? I don't want to keep mixing this (and hurting my hands/arms in the process) if it's not going to work at all.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I'm trying to make merangues, but the egg white mixture isn't getting all light and fluffy and stiff. The sugar is already added. So it's 3 egg whites and about 2 cups of confectioner's sugar, and it's just not turning into merangues.

Is there any way to save these merangues? If I put this in the fridge for later, will the egg whites fall? Can I use this somewhat fluffy-ish egg white/sugar mixture in another recipe? I don't want to keep mixing this (and hurting my hands/arms in the process) if it's not going to work at all.
Don't you need to add cream of tartar?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
2 cups of sugar sounds like alot to me, did you add any cream of tartar?

I found this on a recipe site

Quote:
As a general rule, add a total of 1/4 cup of sugar for each egg white.
and this - When did you add the sugar?

Quote:
Do not add sugar before whipping the egg whites. Adding sugar at the beginning can double the time you have to whip the egg whites to get a foam. Add the sugar at the very end when the whites have formed soft peaks.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't even have any cream of tartar in the house. I've made merangues before and never used cream of tartar and they came out fine.

Is there anything else I could use instead?

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
I don't know if you can save it as meringue... sounds like maybe the bowl wasn't clean.. or a speck of egg yolk somehow sneaked in. I've cooked whipped egg whites on top of the stove, with some Splenda in it... and then topped it with strawberries for a sort of sweet omelette. Very yummy.

You're a better woman than I for doing this by hand! I always use an electric mixer... be it my hand blender with whisk attachment, electric handheld beaters, or the super duper kitchen aid mixer. Only way I can do it.

I usually add a bit of cream of tartar to the egg whites in the beginning... and I don't begin adding sugar until they are almost at soft peak stage. Then I add it by Tablespoon or so (well a little blob from the measuring cup.)

My favorite egg white recipe is for Pavlovas... from Nigella Lawson. I could eat Pavlovas all day long. I don't use Passion Fruit... but whatever fruit is in season. Strawberries and kiwis are popular in my house.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/Pavlova.html

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by umsami View Post
You're a better woman than I for doing this by hand! I always use an electric mixer... be it my hand blender with whisk attachment, electric handheld beaters, or the super duper kitchen aid mixer. Only way I can do it.
Well, if I HAD an electric mixer, I would be using it! The last one I had broke when I was making cookie dough, and I haven't been able to afford to replace it. And the only reason we're even attempting to make meringues is because DD wanted to make them, and at first she was doing the mixing.

Quote:
I usually add a bit of cream of tartar to the egg whites in the beginning... and I don't begin adding sugar until they are almost at soft peak stage. Then I add it by Tablespoon or so (well a little blob from the measuring cup.)
Yeah, well, DD didn't wait long enough before adding the sugar, and I'm not sure if they're completely ruined or not.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Ruthla, adding the sugar too early will make it hard to get a stiff peak. It's recommended to hold off adding the sugar until after you start getting soft peaks, then add it gradually.

There's already cornstarch in powdered sugar, I personally wouldn't add more - especially with as much powdered sugar as you're using.

If you don't have cream of tartar, you can substitute any acid. A squeeze of lemon juice is traditional. A dash of ACV would work as well.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
How did it turn out?
Very flat, but still tasty.

I guess this is the natural consequence of DD starting on a cooking project when I'm not available to directly supervise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.