Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my exposure to homeopathics has been limited to just a few remedies, so far.<br>
I purchased Traumeel drops for pain, then saw "Mercurius solubilis 8X 2 ml" listed in the ingredients. I looked it up online, and the info I saw said "also known as quicksilver" "mercury" "nontoxic." It seems odd that it is a good thing to consume. What am I missing?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sorry, not sure about your question, but I know that Arsenic (yes, the poison used in many crime novels) is a homeopathic remedy (very much diluted of course as all remedies are).

·
Registered
37 Posts
This, the arsenicum, and Uranium Nitricum made me skeptical of homepathy. While there is good from the herbal remedies (undiluted arnica for ex.), to assert that 100 million-fold dilution of mercury is good and useful? (Esp. when we're worrying about million-fold dilutions in vaccines?) Eh. It reads like a Victorian medicinal primer. Some good, some bad, and some hocus pocus. Again, I'm a big fan of herbal remedies -- thyme and rosemary tea will stop a sore throat like *that* -- so it's not a generalized distrust of non-allopathic medicine. Just certain tenets of homeopathy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.<br>
Can somebody actually tell me if it is fine to take, though? My mother is taking multiple daily doses of traumeel right now.<br><br>
eta: I'm going to ask my chiro/naturopath this morning, but I'm interested in other info, as well.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
Well, one of the complaints by conventional doctors against homeopathy is that there is nothing there. Not even a molecule left. So how can it have an effect?<br><br>
To make 8x, it would be diluted to one 10th and mixed. Then the diluted mixture would be diluted again, and so on up to 8 times. I'm no good at the math, but there probably wouldn't be much left.<br><br>
I tried to do the math, and 8x would be equal to 1/100,000. The next question is how much of the traumeel is the mercurius, anyway. You say two ml. Divide two ml by 100,000 and you have a rough idea of how much of the original mercury remains.<br><br>
I've got a bottle of Traumed. It has 15 mg of the mercurius. One tablet is 300mg. So, 1/20 of the tablet is made up of mercury at a dilution of 100,000.<br><br>
Hmmm.<br><br>
I've been using various homeopathic remedies for many years, including some that are made with mercury.<br><br>
I dunno.<br><br>
Deborah

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I just got back from my chiro/naturopath and his reaction was, "That's insane. Don't take any more. They think it's ok because it's homeopathic, but I think it's insane." So that's a pretty strong reaction, and I think I will pay attention.<br>
Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
I did some more research on the dilution. First, the mercurius solubilis is already a diluted solution of mercury, not pure mercury. I wasn't able to find a clear description, but all of the descriptions of homeopathic processes said that they start with a "solution" of the substance.<br><br>
Then it is diluted with one part per 100, not one part per 10. This dilution is carried out 8 times in this particular medicine. So,<br><br>
dilution 1 = 1 part per 100<br>
dilution 2 = 1 part per 10,000<br>
dilution 3 = 1 part per 1,000,000<br><br>
and so on. Of course I'm terrible at math, so I still may have this wrong. But I think all those folks who say that homeopathy is useless because there isn't even a molecule of the substance left may have it right. As in no molecules. In my experience the remedies usually work just fine.<br><br>
I'm going to go buy another bottle of my Traumed. It works better for me than ibuprofen and doesn't have any side effects other than a milk sugar after taste.<br><br>
Take care,<br>
Deborah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts