Mothering Forum banner

Mercury aka Thimerosal is replaced with ?

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  amnesiac 
#1 ·
The truth is they can not make vaccines without preservatives. So why try to have them remove one preservative only to replace it with something much worse. That is the case with Thimerosal.

Here are some other names for mercury or Thimerosal:

Elicide (and anything that starts with Elicide or a very similar spelling)
Ethyl mercury Na
o-benzoic acid Na
Ethylmercurithiosalicylic acid Na
Ethyl mercury
Mercury (of course!)
Mercurothiolate
Mercury, ethyl Na
Merfamin
Merthiolate (salt or Na or Salz)
Na merthiolate
Na thiosalicylate (or benzolate or ethylmercurithiosalicylate)
Na p-benzenesulfonate
SET
Sulfo-merthiolate
Thimerosal
Thimerosalate
Thimerosol
Thimersalate
Thiomersoal
Thiomersal
Thiomersalata
Thimerfonate
Thimerfonate Na

If the vaccine says Thimerosal free it could still have mercury in it, but if it says mercury free, this is what is the repalcement:

2 Phenoxyethanol

http://www.vaccinetruth.org/2-phenoxyethanol.htm

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amnesiac
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that you think some other form of mercury has replaced thimerosal or that you think 2-PE is worse than thimerosal or that vaccines cannot be made without a preservative or what exactly??

Yes, my understanding is that vaccines can not be made without preservatives, not even in a single dose form. They must contain some form of preservatives.

And yes, they have simply changed the name of Thimerosal to make you think the vaccine is mercury free.
But if it contains any of the names on my list, it is not mercury free because those are all different forms of mercury which your ped will not recognize.
So if you ask him whether the vax contains mercury, he will simply look for Thimerosal and not finding it he may tell you the vaccines is mercury free.

And yes, the 2-PE is definitely worse than the Thimerosal.

#5 ·
Quote:
Yes, my understanding is that vaccines can not be made without preservatives, not even in a single dose form. They must contain some form of preservatives.
This is incorrect.

Quote:
And yes, they have simply changed the name of Thimerosal to make you think the vaccine is mercury free.
Which vaccines contain any of those names besides thimerosal?

You can access the prescribing information for all of the vaccines available in the US from Neal Halsey's site. All you have to do is click on the name of the vaccine & it pulls them up. All of the ingredients are listed right in the first section. http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm

Quote:
And yes, the 2-PE is definitely worse than the Thimerosal.
What is your rationale behind this statement?

#6 ·
It is my understanding that because vaccines are made in large batches preservativ is necessary. As a matter of a fact - mercury IS still used in the production of vaccines and then "filtered" out to produce thimerosal free doses.
As for the new preservative - could be worse - could be better - still not good to inject into our children.

#8 ·
All you have to do is read the labels.

A few examples of vaccines with no preservative:

Quote:
Haemophilus b Conjugate Vaccine (Tetanus Toxoid Conjugate), produced by Aventis Pasteur SA, is a sterile, lyophilized powder
which is reconstituted at the time of use with either saline diluent (0.4% Sodium Chloride) or Aventis Pasteur Inc. (AvP) Diphtheria and
Tetanus Toxoids and Pertussis Vaccine Adsorbed (whole-cell pertussis vaccine DTP) or Tripedia®, AvP Diphtheria and Tetanus Toxoids
and Acellular Pertussis Vaccine Adsorbed (DTaP) (when reconstituted known as TriHIBit®) for intramuscular use only. The vaccine
consists of the Haemophilus b capsular polysaccharide (polyribosyl-ribitol-phosphate, PRP), a high molecular weight polymer prepared
from the Haemophilus influenzae type b strain 1482 grown in a semi-synthetic medium, covalently bound to tetanus toxoid.1 The
lyophilized ActHIB® powder and saline diluent contain no preservative.The tetanus toxoid is prepared by extraction, ammonium sulfate
purification, and formalin inactivation of the toxin from cultures of Clostridium tetani (Harvard strain) grown in a modified Mueller and
****** medium.2 The toxoid is filter sterilized prior to the conjugation process. Potency of ActHIB® is specified on each lot by limits on
the content of PRP polysaccharide and protein in each dose and the proportion of polysaccharide and protein in the vaccine which is
characterized as high molecular weight conjugate.
When ActHIB® is reconstituted with saline diluent, each single dose of 0.5 mL is formulated to contain 10 µg of purified capsular
polysaccharide conjugated to 24 µg of inactivated tetanus toxoid, and 8.5% of sucrose.
http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/545_05_4045.pdf

Quote:
DESCRIPTION
Haemophilus b Conjugate Vaccine (Diphtheria CRM197 Protein Conjugate) HibTITER is a
sterile solution of a conjugate of oligosaccharides of the capsular antigen of Haemophilus
influenzae type b (Haemophilus b) and diphtheria CRM197 protein (CRM197) dissolved in 0.9%
sodium chloride. The oligosaccharides are derived from highly purified capsular polysaccharide,
polyribosylribitol phosphate, isolated from Haemophilus b strain Eagan grown in a chemically
defined medium (a mixture of mineral salts, amino acids, and cofactors). The oligosaccharides
are purified and sized by diafiltrations through a series of ultrafiltration membranes, and coupled
by reductive amination directly to highly purified CRM197.1,2 CRM197 is a nontoxic variant of
diphtheria toxin isolated from cultures of Corynebacterium diphtheriae C7 (β197) grown in a
casamino acids and yeast extract-based medium that is ultrafiltered before use. CRM197 is
purified through ultrafiltration, ammonium sulfate precipitation, and ion-exchange
chromatography to high purity. The conjugate is purified to remove unreacted protein,
oligosaccharides, and reagents; sterilized by filtration; and filled into vials. HibTITER is
intended for intramuscular use.
The vaccine is a clear, colorless solution. Each single dose of 0.5 mL is formulated to contain
10 µg of purified Haemophilus b saccharide and approximately 25 µg of CRM197 protein.
http://www.wyeth.com/content/ShowLabeling.asp?id=105

Quote:
PedvaxHIB* [Haemophilus b Conjugate Vaccine (Meningococcal Protein Conjugate)] is a
highly purified capsular polysaccharide (polyribosylribitol phosphate or PRP) of Haemophilus
influenzae type b (Haemophilus b, Ross strain) that is covalently bound to an outer membrane
protein complex (OMPC) of the B11 strain of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B. The covalent
bonding of the PRP to the OMPC which is necessary for enhanced immunogenicity of the PRP is
confirmed by quantitative analysis of the conjugate's components following chemical treatment
which yields a unique amino acid. The potency of PedvaxHIB is determined by assay of PRP.
Haemophilus influenzae type b and Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B are grown in complex
fermentation media. The PRP is purified from the culture broth by purification procedures which
include ethanol fractionation, enzyme digestion, phenol extraction and diafiltration. The OMPC
from Neisseria meningitidis is purified by detergent extraction, ultracentrifugation, diafiltration and
sterile filtration.
Liquid PedvaxHIB is ready to use and does not require a diluent. Each 0.5 mL dose of Liquid
PedvaxHIB is a sterile product formulated to contain: 7.5 mcg of Haemophilus b PRP, 125 mcg of
Neisseria meningitidis OMPC and 225 mcg of aluminum as amorphous aluminum
hydroxyphosphate sulfate (previously referred to as aluminum hydroxide), in 0.9% sodium
chloride, but does not contain lactose or thimerosal
http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_.../pedvax_pi.pdf

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_.../comvax_pi.pdf
http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...a/vaqta_pi.pdf
http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...ombivax_pi.pdf
http://www.wyeth.com/content/ShowLabeling.asp?id=134

#9 ·
Quote:
There is one organization that tested vaccines and said they couldn't filter out mercury and the pharmicutical companies replaced the so called mercury free shots with aluminum
That would be incorrect as well. Aluminum in vaccines is an adjuvant that has always been used in vaccines, it did not replace thimerosal as a preservative.

Quote:
An adjuvant is added to some vaccines to increase and prolong the immune response; without the adjuvant, the vaccine would not work. Adverse reactions to these adjuvants include sterile abscesses, allergies and increased swelling, redness, tenderness and nodule formation at the vaccination site.
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/Y...-bacterial.htm

#11 ·
Formaldehyde is a preservative.

If we could really trust the pharmaceutical companies that would be great. They have said they would produce thimerosal free vaccines only to 'filter out' thimerosal and never recall the thousands of case loads that are already on the market.
They are permitted to calling it "preservative free" when in fact it still contains "trace amounts" of thimerosal.
And who is to defined "trace amounts"?

(I know what I call trace amounts, but is it the same?)

Another preservatives is Phenol. Whether Formaldehyde and Phenol have been removed also, I do not know.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say all preservatives have been removed.
Does the vaccine become any better even if the only obvious "harmful" ingredient is aluminum (which I seriously doubt)?
Aluminum is associated with Alzheimer. And the flu vax is on just about every ones suggested vaccine list. Young and old.

I don't know why but somehow the pharma just can't win me over.
We are talking about a corporation that has knows over 20 years that mercury in a young child's brain causes demyelination. A company that turned a blind eye to any and all vaccine reactions until the general public forced them to accept that their product can cause harm. A business that teaches their white coat distributers to doubt parents and ignore them when they witness injurious effects to the injections.

Their track record in telling the truth is shaky. They have lied to us all along and I will not simply believe in something they write on a piece of paper.

http://www.*********/vaccines/ploy5.html

As for the 2-PE we will soon see... They are simply replacing one demon with another.

#12 ·
Nobody has said that all the other trash in vaccines isn't nasty too, clearly injecting aluminum is a nasty thing but isn't a preservative & it hasn't replaced thimerosal. To say that manufacturers have simply changed the name of thimerosal is incorrect, to say that no vaccine is preservative free is incorrect and to say 2-PE is worse than thimerosal with no justification is wacky. Repeating this kind of stuff that is just flat wrong doesn't help the credibility of us non-vaxing families.

The purpose of a preservative added to a vaccine is to prevent the growth of microorganisms in the event the vaccine becomes contaminated. In the US, preservatives used are thimerosal, phenol, 2-PE and benzethonium chloride. Some vaccines contain antibiotics for that purpose and IPV does contain formaldehyde as a preservative. You will also notice formaldehyde/formalin listed on some inserts as being used during manufacturing process to inactivate certain vaccine components (like polio viruses and pertussis) but it isn't necessarily added to the final product as a preservative. In any case, I'm with you Sahm, I don't want to inject that either.

#13 ·
amnesiac..and all posters
I could not absolutely agree more that we selective/delayer/non-vaxers have to have our facts straight..extra extra extra straight..if we have one inconsistency with our info, I believe, we will lose credibility entirely. At least this is true in my personal experience. We are going up against decades of a common faith IN vaccines.
I re-read the link from above about mercury still being found in vaxes labelled otherwise. It seems 4 were tested..doesn't say which..and 2 came back with mercury..one of the 4 had 9 times the level of aluminum as the others..hmmm
My biggest and first issue with vaxes..what I start my conversation with those new to skeptism is thimerosal.
So..we know there was a phase-out..we know it took longer for many pharm companies to get on board, we know there was never any recall of inventory on the shelves..I believe that is undisputed..
But, I too am confused by these recent developments...thimerosal-free may not mean mercury-free..another mercury preservative may be substituted, right? Or the amounts are only trace..they are filtered at the final manufacturing phase..but we are not clear what trace actually may indicate..is this right?
Mercury-free should mean just that..but another preservative may be used that we don't know the possible side-effects or dangers of yet.
When can a vax be totally preservative free? Does it mean it must be stored a certain way? Have a shorter shelf life? Or must be single vial? I read above a preservative is used to protect in case of contamination..I guess I'm not exactly sure what that means..help?
Is it more expensive or less convenient for vaxes to be manufactured preservative free?
What do we recommend to parents who are going to vax..but are knowledgeable about a mercury-autism connection..in the past I've said read the label..make sure it is thimerosal-free.
a-l

#14 ·
Quote:
another mercury preservative may be substituted, right?
No, thimerosal's the only one here in the US at least.

Quote:
Or the amounts are only trace
Yes.

Quote:
Or must be single vial? I read above a preservative is used to protect in case of contamination..I guess I'm not exactly sure what that means..help?
Yes, if you have a single vial that holds multiple doses & you repeatedly stick a syringe into that vial there's a greater chance germs will be introduced into the remaining vaccine in the vial.

Quote:
Is it more expensive or less convenient for vaxes to be manufactured preservative free?
I really have no idea but I'd guess both. I'd guess that single dose packaging increases cost, increases storage space, takes more time.

Quote:
What do we recommend to parents who are going to vax..but are knowledgeable about a mercury-autism connection..in the past I've said read the label..make sure it is thimerosal-free.
I guess I'd just say read the insert.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.