Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two teeth with old mercury amalgam fillings that are apinful to hot and cold. I have been putting off dealing with them bc I have been pregnant or nursing. I have an 8 wk old baby now, and am tandum nursing.
Questions:
1) can I just have the fillings temporarily filled with composite on top of the old fillings until later?
2) Is it at all safe to replace old amalgam fillings while nursing?
3) Is the mercury being released right now since i am having pain probably due to another cavity or the old fillings being unsealed?

Thank you so much for your time-

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have the exact same thing happening...When I asked, Smilemomma directed me to this thread...http://mothering.com/discussions/sh...&threadid=12224

1)I don't think it is possible to put composite over the amalgam. Composite is much more involved-many steps to get it in place included preparing the existing tooth. You wouldn't want to be "preparing" the amalgam. Maybe a sealant tho...?
2)Smilemomma talks about this somewhere...did you try a search? I believe that she said that she prefers to not take chances and to wait...
3)From what I understand, some mercury is always being released just as it sits there...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smilemomma- if you are out there- i desperately need help. I am in pain with my two teeth that have old fillings in them and need to know what to do- the dentists here are clueless about mercury and each day that passes, things are egtting worse. PLEASE tell me what i shoulddo- can i just get a sealant put on for now? what type is safe? I chescked out the thread above but it did not work. HELP!!!!! thx!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.