Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my husband pointed out that one of the ingredients in our 1-year-old's homeopathic was "mercurious iodatus ruber", a dilution of mercury. After doing a bit of research, it seems like this is a common ingredient in some homeopathics, although perhaps somewhat controversial as well (for instance, on a Canadian website, it was listed as a "prohibited ingredient"). It just feels funny (especially considering the controversy of mercury in vaccines) to knowingly give our child ANY mercury, no matter how diluted.<br><br>
Does anyone have any more information?

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Holy cow! As soon as read this I ran to the cabinets to check our stuff out. Thankfully I didn't find this in anything. Can you say what kind you have?<br><br>
tayndrewsmama

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dear...apologies if I'm unduly alarming anyone...I just don't understand homeopathics enough to understand why mercury is used in this way. I did read, however, that the mercury is incredibly diluted-- way, WAY below what the FDA says can be in safe drinking water.<br><br>
The name of the homeopathic that I have is Pedia-Pro (A throat and Cough Remedy) and the brand is IsoPlex. For what it's worth, a doctor that I trust gave it to me for my daughter, but as he is out of town right now I couldn't phone to question him about it once I looked at the ingredient list (thus I turned here, to MDC).<br><br>
Could anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Mercurious is a common homeopathic remedy but it is vastly different from regular mercury or thimersol. Homeopathics are HIGHLY, HIGHLY diluted. So diluted that when they are analyzed, often none of the original substance is even detected. This is one reason why homeopathy is looked at with such skepticism and considered worthless by many in the mainstream medical community. Lots of homeopathic remedies are made from ingredients so toxic and lethal that in there regular state they could kill someone, but in homeopathic form they are perfectly fine. Arsenicum is made from arsenic and lachesis is made from deadly snake venom, for example. I have given mercurious to my kids and arsenicum is relieving my dd's teething pains as we speak. No worries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts