Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have a little sweet girl who is one week old today.  My husband is buying our second pack of sposies.  I way underestimated how tiny her bottom would be.  She was 7lbs14oz at birth and dropped to 7-6 at her last weight check.  I was planning on using flats for her figuring I could adjust as needed.  I haven't been able to get a decent fit on her.  I need to be as quick with the diaper changing as possible since she is usually crying so I can't just sit there and practice on her.  Now I wish I had gotten the little prefolds but even the covers look huge.  I haven't tried them on yet since I haven't gotten a cd to work yet but both the bummis and thirsties newborn size look too big.  Oh well, you live and learn right?  Hopefully, I will still get plenty of use out of the covers before she grows out them.  Trying to be frugal here I'm ending up spending money on throw away diapers.  Just a wee bit disappointed...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Theresa</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
<p>I understand. I kinda had to let go of the idea I'd "save" CD a newborn. Mine come out full term healthy but tiny, my last was 5.7 at birth and 5 even upon comming home and 4.14 at her measured lowest.. Flats HA!!! No way I was folding both front and back down on her preemie prefolds. Bummi superbrites and bummi orginal NB covers were the only covers that fit her. BSWW were too big thirsties were gigantic, Kissaluv 0s HUGE BGXS aios huge...Her preemie nanabottoms and though bulky the NB nanabottoms were the only other diapers I had that worked. BUt then they grow fast and though I had a lovely "preemie stash" in a blink its onto the next time and were into the true NB size.</p>
<p> in the first 3 months alos I went through tiny NB/preemie size to standard NB to smalls before my "one size" stash had a fighting chance..</p>
<p> Truth be it would have been cheeper or at least comporable for me to have used sposies.. No fun in that though and I CD ffor reasons that don't always include budget and saving money.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Deanna</p>

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
<p>We used disposables for the first 4 weeks. She was born 6.11, dropped to 6, and was tiny. We started with NB prefolds and thirsties covers and they looked ridiculous until she was about 3 months. However, at 3 weeks I used gerber organic 3 ply prefolds. They are way smaller than the regular ones.</p>

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
<p>I pretty much plan to use sposies until the baby is at least 2-3 weeks, and i imagine my next one won't be tiny as ds was 9lbs. I honestly am not buying newborn or xs anything and don't plan to begin cding the new one until I think i can handle it, I had supply issues with ds so my breastfeeding relationship is going to take way more priority in the beginning and adding trying to fit a newborn in cd's and washing etc and etc, I don't need the added stress. At the point you are at, I would just buy a few packs of sposies and focus on your baby for now and try again in a week or two.</p>

·
Registered
68 Posts
<p>my nb was 8-1 i had forgotten how thin their legs are! prowraps $7 worked great - i had gmd workhorse nb and tinkle traps - weehuggers also worked great - i did buy 1 dozen imagine xs prefolds - she is 5 weeks now and we are on yellow gmd wh and imse vimse organic cotton covers are my fave (newborn size fits to 13lbs) and weehuggers and prowraps still work but i have a local store - hang in there!</p>

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>Thanks all for the encouragement!  I just wanted to update...  We tried cds again at 2 1/2 weeks when she was close to 9lbs. and it has been going great ever since.  I just fold the flats so they fit in the cover nicely and they are just as easy as sposies.  Don't know why I didn't try that sooner?!  Now I think cding a newborn is way easier than an older baby or toddler and I'm loving it.  She looks so cute, the covers fit her wonderfully, and we have had only two leakouts.  It was good to have that space of not stressing over it though so I had a little extra time to get to know her.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Theresa</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
<p>This may be sacrilege considering my occupation, but I think if I have another, I will use sposies until the cord falls off.  My last was 8'6" and even so, most of his covers were way too big until his cord fell off.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts