Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was metformin all throughout my pregnancy and even before my pregnancy (for quite some time). After DD came, my dr said no met while bf. Anyway, she is 5.5 months now, and I am starting to feel the effects of being off my medicine. I checked with my LLLL, and she said met is L1..(which I think means safe). So I, I have been taking it for abot five days now, and I think DD is having some side effects from. She is pooping about 5-6 time a day, and not a very happy little girl. She is drooling big time, so maybe this has more to do with her teeth...but I just want to make sure I am not causing her any discomfort.

TIA

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
As you know, there isn't a ton of research on it yet. I think Hale considers it quite safe, and if I remember right way more crosses the placenta than gets into breastmilk, so it seemed to me that if I was going to take it in pregnancy, I might as well continue while nursing.

I was on metformin my first trimester w/ my now 3 year old. I went back on met when he was about 2. My endo did not like RXing it to nursing women but I told her we had weaned
after doing my own research and feeling okay w/ the safety of it. I wanted to see if it would give me my period back...it never worked when we were ttc DS but I went on it at a higher dose and wanted to give that time before having to decide whether to wean to start ttc# w/ injectables. 3 months after starting met, I was frustrated to still not have a cycle. I was about to induce a period with progesterone but decided to take a HPT just because *I should* ...never expecting a BFP
(DS was an injectables /IUI baby).

This time around I stayed on met my whole pregnancy and am on it while BFing my almost 3 month old. I see a practice of midwives, and both they and their backup OB support my using met while BFing. I haven't seen any ill side effects while using it and BF. Obviously you have to do what you are comfortable with. If she's also drooling a lot, the increased pooping could be from teeth as you said.

Probably not very helpful but I wanted to answer since I'm a mom that uses met too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.