Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sis just went in for her annual pap a couple weeks ago, and the health care practitioner called yesterday to tell her he wants her to come back in about 6 mos for a repeat because he thinks she had an infection when she came in. she told him that she had a yeast infection the week before her pap and had treated it with monistat and thinks it's gone now. he said he wanted to prescribe "something stronger", so he prescribed metronidazole. my sis is not sure about taking this stuff and does not want to spend the $20 copay if she doesn't have to.

a quick search of metronidazole indicates that it's usually prescribed for bacterial infections, not yeast. is he just prescribing her this stuff "just in case" it's a bacterial infection? can he even tell what kind of infection this is from a pap? keep in mind that my sister has had several bacterial infections and yeast infections in the past and is pretty familiar with the signs of both. she says she was showing the common signs of a yeast infection, which is why she treated it with monistat.

so what do you mamas think? should she take this stuff? my sis thinks that it was a yeast infection, and when she went in for the pap the monistat was still working on the infection, which she thinks is gone now.

thanks in advance for sharing any advice/info/experiences!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
They can definitely tell at the time of your pap whether or not there is a bacterial infection present. They can look at it ( cells) under a microscope and another test I forgot the name of but I want to say it's a sniff test ( lol) that will detect the bacteria quickly, within minutes.
I just finished a round of the flagyl ( generic for mez) treatment due to Bacterial Vaginosis that turned into a pelvic infection b/c I didn't have it treated.
I would take pay the $20 and get the meds but thats just me...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bamsmom View Post
he wants her to come back in about 6 mos for a repeat because he thinks she had an infection when she came in. she told him that she had a yeast infection the week before her pap and had treated it with monistat and thinks it's gone now. he said he wanted to prescribe "something stronger", so he prescribed metronidazole.

so what do you mamas think? should she take this stuff?
Nope, I wouldn't take it without knowing what kind of infection he thinks he saw! Mez is seriously strong stuff and will completely screw with her body unless she does have a bacterial infection... When I think about the months of yeast agony I went through, caused by flagyl (prescribed for intestines, not bv), it makes me so
if it is yeast, taking that antibiotic will make it SO much worse...

As for testing, my OB tested me for yeast recently in the last trimester-- a single swab and he ran several tests: yeast, a few bacteria, and a couple other things. He had the results within 20 minutes, so I assume he had the equiptment in the office... I'm assuming it's not to hard to tell if there is infection and what kind, let alone let one go for 6 months.

nope, i wouldn't take it without more info.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Would she be willing to toss a garlic clove up there? A garlic suppository will help either yeast or bacteria.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.