1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
http://www.freep.com/story/news/edu...ization-waivers-plummet-40-michigan/79427752/

I'm very (pleasantly) surprised that requiring vaccination information from the health department has reduced waivers in Michigan so much. In one area, they went down 90%! The article surmises that some parents were getting waivers just because it was easier than getting shots. What do you think the reasons are?
Yay! I read about this earlier today. Any news about exemptions going down is good news. I think it's probably too early to tell exactly why yet, but the news is very promising :)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Very interesting. I guess there's enough states who have made it harder to get a waiver that the impact of these can be monitored which is good.

I'm usualy worried it creates a backlash and so increases rates of non vaccinating, so it's interesting to see evidence that is not what's happening.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the same thing. This is really surprising to me. If I really thought vaccines were dangerous, I'd listen to the health department's spiel, say thanks but no thanks, get my waiver and go about my day. I'm wondering why that isn't happening. I hate to think it really is a case of it is easier to get a waiver than the shots. I prefer to think that once they hear the real science they change their minds, but studies have shown the opposite to be true. So I don't know what to think. Regardless, good new for the people of Michigan!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am not that surprised. I think policies like this that require a health department visit sometimes serve to break through anxiety. To people who are all-in with not vaccinating, to people involved in a movement of not vaccinating (who believe they are a plot or that the government is covering up information that they are unsafe for a eugenic purpose those ideas) are not going to vaccinate no matter what. I don't think they are the individuals who are the target of public education campaigns. But I also don't think they are the individuals who acquire the most vaccine waivers.

People like ourselves are not prevalent in web searches. We aren't prevalent her at MDC either for that matter. When new mothers etc. want to research vaccine decisions they take to the internet (in todays society) and what do they find? One side of the evidence is very easy to understand a graph showing vaccines and autism correlation is easy to understand, a scientific article showing that the correlation is not causation and the studies that have been done have consistently found no link, is difficult to understand and not likely to be found. Also once you find one link to a vaccine critical source, it becomes a rabbit hole, where each link produces 10 more and pretty soon you are convinced because you aren't seeing anything from the other side. That is why I think our forum is important, so natural minded vaccinating parents or lose starting to lean toward vaccination don't feel they are the only one since every voice and link is producing the alternative viewpoint.

I think that many parents who have read a lot of natural news stories and seen a lot of non-vaccinating memes, can have their mind changed by the health department spiel. Because when they go in they find it isn't a plot, these people aren't wealthy Dr. Evil's who are hell-bent on damaging children. They also show scientific evidence in understandable terms.

So while I am sure SOME of the uptake is because some people found it easier to get the waiver than the vaccine before, I think it a very small part of it. I think a bigger part is finding a way to break through the group think.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Well the data here certainly support that idea.

I suppose it makes sense that making the choice to not vaccinate harder to make than the choice to vaccinate will shift a fraction of parents.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
In related news "California's new vaccine law is already a success"

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-0202-vaccination-rates-20160201-story.html

The proof is in the numbers. The percentage of fully vaccinated kindergartners entering the state's schools in 2015-2016 was the highest in a decade: 92.9%, up from 90.4% last year. State health officials say the measles outbreak at Disneyland a year ago might have scared a few parents off the vaccination fence, but SB 277, combined with another bill from 2012 that required parents to talk to a pediatrician before obtaining an exemption, had more to do with it.
This one doesn't surprise me as much. I figured this law would make vaccine rates go up as I don't think the majority who file exemptions in California are of the extreme non-vaccine variety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts