Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have an allergy how far down do you eliminate things?

Here's our scenario, corn allergy.... in the making of iodized salt they use a sugar (which could be corn) to stabilize the iodine... so theoretically when I'm looking at a can of something or a loaf of bread and it says 'salt' there could be that tiny tiny trace of corn in the product. Well as a cook and canner I would think that they did not use iodized salt for that application, but you don't know... could be... so do you risk it or not?

Same with citric acid, they use a sugar (most likely corn) to grow a fungus on and go from there in their processing... eventually ending up with the citric acid, so when I see citric acid should it be in or out?

I do feel as if I'm driving myself bonkers with this and I'm totally obsessed with everything because I am new at the allergy thing so I'm still setting boundaries of what is acceptable or not in my mind.

Part of me keeps saying that our little guy is 5 years old and he hasn't had a life threating reaction up to this point so the micro level of things should be OK. But is it? When I talk to the nurse at the allergist office she says "eliminate all foods on the list" I tried talking to her a little about the micro stuff but I felt like she really wasn't listening or understanding.... I know many people do not analyze things as much as I do, I will admit that I am pretty intense sometimes in my thinking. I don't know if I have just went off on a tangent and I'm missing the big picture.

Anyone want to share how far microscopically they eliminate things? or tell me to just quit obsessing and bring me back to earth? I haven't even started on the soap and contact stuff yet because my brain isn't up for that yet.

· Registered
10,748 Posts
If it says salt, I am actually okay with it because they don't usually use iodized salt. I prefer it to say sea salt. Because we're avoiding so many ingredients though, and hardly do processed food, it's not that much of an issue. For us, citric acid is a problem, so we stay way clear of it. Maltodextrin and dextrose, same thing.

· Registered
5,853 Posts
Honestly, in the beginning I decided it esd easier to avoid every corn derivative. I just didn't go there with citric acid or anything else. The blanket avoidance was better than the mental stress of trying to weigh each little ingredient. We found products that worked and have stuck with them for all this time. Non-iodized salt, canned goods and (the rare) juice without citric acid, not maltodextrin or dextrose, lactic acid/lactates, etc.

· Registered
3,333 Posts
I avoid citric acid, ascorbic acid and all of those other things, but salt. We don't seem to have a problem.
My boys don't have IGE reactions to corn though, so it is different for us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.