Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted this in the general pregnancy forum - it's so interesting! Make sure you're eating lots of fermented foods and taking high quality probiotics, if necessary!

This article was really interesting about the affect of the expectant mother's gut bacteria on the baby's immune system and lifelong protection/susceptibility to disease.

I haven't watched the video yet, but the article didn't mention seeding the baby's gut after a c-section via a swab of vaginal fluid (which isn't talked about much anywhere...yet?)

Also talks about the importance of sufficient vitamin D during pregnancy.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news, this is up on Mercola's web site to be watched until 1/2!

Here's the link:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/27/seeding-baby-microbiome.aspx

If you watch it, I'd love to know what people think!
That's the same link I posted above. :lol

Interesting that he recommends tanning beds for pregnant women. I knew that's his preference, after real sun, and before taking a D supp., but I didn't think he'd ever say that he'd recommend it for pregnant women... It's tempting! What I wouldn't give to feel some rays on my skin right now.... And I know I need it since my D was around 35 in November.

·
Registered
509 Posts

Interesting that he recommends tanning beds for pregnant women. I knew that's his preference, after real sun, and before taking a D supp., but I didn't think he'd ever say that he'd recommend it for pregnant women... It's tempting! What I wouldn't give to feel some rays on my skin right now.... And I know I need it since my D was around 35 in November.
What have you found to be your ideal number? I was having some major problems last year and got tested. My levels came back at 9!!! 9!!! No wonder I felt so awful. I just got tested in June or so and they were 27. Still low in my opinion. Dr says low end of normal. I have heard some docs like you up close to 100... I think even being near 50 would be amazing. FWIW- I live in NY. No sun.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wish they took vitamin D levels seriously here. I was feeling terrible in August and had my levels tested. They came back at 13 and my Dr. didn't even give me a prescription. I then showed my levels to my Gyno and he just shrugged and said it was normal!!

So I've had to figure out how to get decently high doses of D on my own. I've been taking about 2000iui since August. And I just upped myself to 3000iui.

At this point I'm just hoping I've gotten myself up to 20-25. I won't be seeing any sunshine until May probably. It's pretty grey through the winter and early spring here.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What have you found to be your ideal number? I was having some major problems last year and got tested. My levels came back at 9!!! 9!!! No wonder I felt so awful. I just got tested in June or so and they were 27. Still low in my opinion. Dr says low end of normal. I have heard some docs like you up close to 100... I think even being near 50 would be amazing. FWIW- I live in NY. No sun.
Well, I've had it tested maybe 3-4 times and always in the winter and it's always been in the mid-upper-30s. Once April hits, I'm outside in minimal attire, soaking up the rays all summer long with no sunblock so I imagine my summer levels are pretty decent (I would love to check them one year.)

My goal is always at least 50 and if it's higher than that in summer due to sun exposure, great.

I live in PA, but am a sun-worshipper and get out in it every chance I get.

I wish they took vitamin D levels seriously here. I was feeling terrible in August and had my levels tested. They came back at 13 and my Dr. didn't even give me a prescription. I then showed my levels to my Gyno and he just shrugged and said it was normal!!

So I've had to figure out how to get decently high doses of D on my own. I've been taking about 2000iui since August. And I just upped myself to 3000iui.

At this point I'm just hoping I've gotten myself up to 20-25. I won't be seeing any sunshine until May probably. It's pretty grey through the winter and early spring here.
Do you know what method they used to test your level? 25-OH-D is the correct test (aka Vit D 25-Hydroxy.) I tested through LabCorp and the reference range is 30.0-100.0 ng/mL (mine was 37.8 ng/mL.) So 27 is low, but 9 and 13 are REALLY low.

In that article, the recommendation for pregnant women is 4,000 iu/day and 6,400 iu/day for nursing mothers.

You can't even make D from the sunshine until summer (and in fact, the winter rays can be harmful in excess.)

Are you taking just D3 drops? There are other vitamins that are needed to work synergistically with D and taking just one and not the rest can cause an imbalance which can make other things worse. I like Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil because it's a food rather than a supplement and has high levels of natural A (which you can also get from eating liver.) The animal form of A is different than the veggie form and is much more usable.
So A + D, then K2 and magnesium - they all work together. Taking lots of D can lower your A and mag. and vice versa. For K2, we take Green Pastures butter oil but we also take Thorne's K2 supp. and Now Brand D3 supp (in the winter) and I buy a lot of nutrient-dense local foods that are high in these vitamins like raw pastured butter, raw grass-fed milk, lard from pastured pigs (very high in D!), raw grass-fed cheese (high in K2!) Natto (buy organic so not gmo) is the food highest in K2, if you can stomach it. :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just was reading over the human microbiome site and came across a study that says that the mothers mouth microbiome most similarly resembles that of the placenta- i.e. the placenta is getting its information and microbes from the mouth most significantly. I imagine that these are really early studies. I am hoping that this is why I am gagging every single time I brush my teeth and in the best scenario's, not throwing up. My oral regimen has been tossed out the door and my mouth feels like crap most of the time. I am taking this as a supportive sign! Here here to a healthy microbiome!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At my holistic dentist's office, every time you go in for a cleaning, they swab your mouth and put the saliva on a slide and you get to look at it under a microscope hooked up to a computer monitor.

It's pretty cool (and sometimes creepy!) to see what's in there. Mine has been good so far, thank goodness.

My best friend has noticed that when she's not eating a lot of fermented foods, her bad bacteria increases (you can see them swimming around!) and when she's good about eating ferments every day, her bad bacteria are near zero.

I imagine the health of the mouth (bacteria-wise - good and bad) is probably parallel to that of the gut. Don't you think? In the body as a whole, it seems improbable that one would have a healthy gut and unhealthy mouth. Maybe not, who knows. Interesting stuff they're discovering these days...

I figure eating a lot of dirt is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
At my holistic dentist's office, every time you go in for a cleaning, they swab your mouth and put the saliva on a slide and you get to look at it under a microscope hooked up to a computer monitor.
------

Metasequoia, your dentist sounds dreamy.

I have a kifir culture that has been backing up since MS took over my life.. I think I'll try gargling with it!

·
Registered
583 Posts

I hope that you know that this was a total preggo brain moment. For which I am already using this excuse too often. I must not have opened your posted link. Which doesn't make sense because I was immediately interested! Doh.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope that you know that this was a total preggo brain moment. For which I am already using this excuse too often. I must not have opened your posted link. Which doesn't make sense because I was immediately interested! Doh.
:lol Forgiven.

I ordered two copies of the same Jan Brett book before Christmas, one for my toddler and one for my niece. I swear one copy came and when I started wrapping gifts, I tore the entire house apart looking for it. I could visualize myself opening the package and stashing it somewhere, I just couldn't remember where!

About a week later, both packages arrived on my porch; the book had never come to begin with. :lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks! I have been trying to take fermented cod liver oil, but the morning sickness has made it REALLY difficult. Will start trying again tomorrow!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Watch the film. Loved it. Been taking my Garden of Life Raw Enzyme with tons of probiotics in it, drinking kombucha on a semi-regular basis, and of course taking my D3 (I live in WA state. Sunshine is basically non-existent here until May-Sept.).

My normal diet (pre-morning sickness) includes lots of homemade fermented sauerkraut (the simple Nourishing Traditions recipe is my favorite one), kimchi, pickled carrots, etc. BUT, that all got cut out when I couldn't' eat anything but dry crackers during 1st Tri and I've been very S L O W L Y re-integrating my normal foods back in, because I'm afraid of eating somethign too soon, getting nauseated by it, and never being able to eat it again! :/ But, I can't just rely on my probiotic, gotta get back to fermenting again...

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Watch the film. Loved it. Been taking my Garden of Life Raw Enzyme with tons of probiotics in it, drinking kombucha on a semi-regular basis, and of course taking my D3 (I live in WA state. Sunshine is basically non-existent here until May-Sept.).

My normal diet (pre-morning sickness) includes lots of homemade fermented sauerkraut (the simple Nourishing Traditions recipe is my favorite one), kimchi, pickled carrots, etc. BUT, that all got cut out when I couldn't' eat anything but dry crackers during 1st Tri and I've been very S L O W L Y re-integrating my normal foods back in, because I'm afraid of eating somethign too soon, getting nauseated by it, and never being able to eat it again! :/ But, I can't just rely on my probiotic, gotta get back to fermenting again...
I don't like Sally's recipes that include whey; I think it makes ferments mushy. You don't think so?

I've been fermenting anaerobically lately and LOVE it! My milk kefir has been going crazy in a Le Parfait hinged jar! All of a sudden there's a hissing sound in the corner and it takes me a minute to realize it's the gas escaping from the kefir. The grains have been multiplying like mad ever since I switched methods.

I did a 2 gallon jar of sauerkraut in a Le Parfait jar too and it's super crunchy and delicious. I have sooooo many jars of fermented pickles, some dill and some with tons of chili peppers and they're delicious. It's so easy to make a meal and just throw some veggie ferments on the side as the veggie.

Have you ever tried fermenting kohlrabi? Hands down, our favorite ferment. I peel the kohlrabi and chop it into large matchsticks and make it like dill pickles. I've had jars last 3 years and the crunch is unbelievable - like it's fresh from the garden. And beets - I LOVE ginger beets!

Mmmm, going to have to go raid the fridge...

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New article just out on how length of gestation and method of delivery influences baby's gut flora. Focuses on body fat, but we know there are more pros to a healthy gut. :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Among a group of 75 infants, those who were vaginally delivered and had a longer gestation before birth tended to more quickly develop a more mature gut microbiota, and had typical body fat at 18 months. By contract, babies who were delivered via Caesarean section and had shorter gestations took longer to acquire a more mature gut microbiota and had lower body fat at 18 months.

Interesting. My sister-in-law next door (okay, so she's like a mile away but on the opposite end of the same property) has two sons exactly 2 yrs apart (same birthday!). They were both homebirths transferred in for C Sections, both for different reasons but they were about 10.5 lbs. The eldest is almost 4 and was around 44 weeks gestation I think. He has always only had like one BM every 2-3 days. She said now it's 3-4 days. She thinks that's normal bc that's how she is. The younger one was born at just over 37 weeks gestation, and he poops 3-7 times a day. Both boys are stoutly built but not fat. They were the chubbiest little nurslings you've ever seen though. Ana was too. She was 40+5, delivered naturally. She was so chunky and has always had no more than 3 as a little mite, but now as a 2 yr old a consistent 1-2 BMs a day unless she's got something off in her that day. Then it's as high as 4 or two days in between. She's petite like me and probably on the slim yet healthy side.
I know my SIL at least was doing milk kefir as of the summer. She was putting their abundance of garden strawberries in it for smoothies every day and the boys loved them. With being 9 months pregnant, I'm not sure if she's still keeping up or not. We drink water kefir, I make my own cultured yogurt and sour cream. I am wanting to branch out. We eat Bubbies pickles and sauerkraut. At least I eat the kraut. Ana loved it as a baby, then went through a 6 month picky stage and now won't eat many of the things she used to. My fermented pickles have never worked out right. Not sure what I do wrong. Pickles of any sort and me just have never worked well. Lol I am wanting to get into more and more cultured and fermented goodies. I have apple cider vinegar started and it's just starting to have a faint vinegar smell. I have sourdough started and am planning to make the first loaf tomorrow morning.
Not too many of my Sally Fallon things worked out. I don't know if it was something I was doing wrong, or if I just wasn't used to so many of the different cultured flavors (or ideas) when I tried it. I should pull the book back out again. I don't like to use whey just bc it's one thing that's constantly high on my allergy report. I have a jar I strained off of the mozzarella cheese I made a couple weeks ago just in case I decide I want it though. I'm about to get into my own cheese making too, and I think I'll be able to get raw milk for it this spring and try it that way. I really believe all those nice fermented and cultured things are amazingly good for you! Nice to know they're all the better for baby too!:thumb

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, a BM every 2-4 days? NOT normal! The ideal is supposed to be "after each meal" so 2-3 times a day. DH is like that (maybe all of the good stuff he got from his rural upbringing, like, really rural and poor.) The rest of us are 1-2/day, usually 1, except for my four year old who is more like 2-4 times a day, but always a nice, formed, but not compacted BM.

There's something about Bubbies kraut that I remember not being what I'd hoped for...but the pickles are supposed to be traditionally fermented. It was so many years ago that I can't recall what it was about the kraut. Ah: http://www.mommypotamus.com/does-bubbies-pasteurize-their-products-say-it-aint-so/ <--- maybe not a big deal after all. :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Wow, a BM every 2-4 days? NOT normal! The ideal is supposed to be "after each meal" so 2-3 times a day. DH is like that (maybe all of the good stuff he got from his rural upbringing, like, really rural and poor.) The rest of us are 1-2/day, usually 1, except for my four year old who is more like 2-4 times a day, but always a nice, formed, but not compacted BM.

There's something about Bubbies kraut that I remember not being what I'd hoped for...but the pickles are supposed to be traditionally fermented. It was so many years ago that I can't recall what it was about the kraut. Ah: http://www.mommypotamus.com/does-bubbies-pasteurize-their-products-say-it-aint-so/ <--- maybe not a big deal after all. :)
I'll have to read that on the Bubbie's. I just don't eat enough of it to justify the mess of making it. And my pickles are nasty. Lol

I have tried to tell her to get the boys on probiotics and stuff, but she just doesn't see a need. Can't shove it down their throats, but I do mention it sometimes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The Vaginome!

]ttp://motherboard.vice.com/read/enter-the-vaginome?utm_source=mbtwitter[/URL]

I loved this article. I have been thinking about a vaginal specific probiotic to be using and have yet to come up with a good one. Anyone using one they would recommend?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts