Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14181541/

Quote:
LAS VEGAS - After suffering embarrassing security exploits over the past several years, Microsoft Corp. is trying a new tactic: inviting some of the world's best-known computer experts to try to poke holes in Vista, the next generation of its Windows operating system.

Microsoft made a test version of Vista available to about 3,000 security professionals Thursday as it detailed the steps it has taken to fortify the product against attacks that can compromise bank account numbers and other sensitive information.
Wow, this is a rather bold move. I'm afraid it may backfire, but either way I think it's good.

· Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by simonee
It saves MS a lot of $$ on testing their product. It's like htrowing a party and then starting a "clean the lawn" contest for the kids; so you can sleep off the hangover while they clean
That's nonsense. Beta-testing and customer-driven QA has been a part of software development for decades. This is a little different because instead of testing features, MS is going to industry experts and challenging them to crack Vista. There's already been years of standard internal testing, plus internal "dogfooding" (which is basically internal beta-testing), plus external beta testing for this product. Apparantly someone thinks it is now sufficiently stable and secure to let it loose to crackers.
Note that beta-programs are *far* from free. MS spends millions on beta-programs. I feel they get a good return on their investment, but it certainly isn't free.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Wanna bet it'll be simple and quick?

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPentor
That's nonsense. Beta-testing and customer-driven QA has been a part of software development for decades. This is a little different because instead of testing features, MS is going to industry experts and challenging them to crack Vista. There's already been years of standard internal testing, plus internal "dogfooding" (which is basically internal beta-testing), plus external beta testing for this product. Apparantly someone thinks it is now sufficiently stable and secure to let it loose to crackers.
Note that beta-programs are *far* from free. MS spends millions on beta-programs. I feel they get a good return on their investment, but it certainly isn't free.
sirpentor,

:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tata
Wanna bet it'll be simple and quick?
tata,

· Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicaabruno
sirpentor,

:
OK, seriously. I don't get this. Perhaps it's because I've never seen you post before (odd, given your post count, but I tend to stick around the News forum). What the hell are you trying to say?

· Registered
4,282 Posts
Quote:

After seeing this and noting your location, I don't suppose you work for MS, do ya?
(don't worry, I mean that nicely... my dp works there) Had to ask.

· Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorker
After seeing this and noting your location, I don't suppose you work for MS, do ya?
(don't worry, I mean that nicely... my dp works there) Had to ask.

Yes. Most of the regulars on News know that, but I should have made it clear in this post

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Quote:

OK, seriously. I don't get this. Perhaps it's because I've never seen you post before (odd, given your post count, but I tend to stick around the News forum). What the hell are you trying to say?
sirpentor,

Basically, I changed my username to make it easy for myself if somethings happens to me or my computer or whatever else could happen. I'm all over MDC. With that reply I was confused by what meant before, wish I forgot now.

· Registered
4,282 Posts
Quote:

Yes. Most of the regulars on News know that, but I should have made it clear in this post

I read this forum a lot sometimes, and other times I make somewhat of an effort to stay away. It is important to me to be informed, but I get overwhelmed by bad news easily. I recognise your name, but other than that... didn't know ya.

Anyhoo, I let dp know and said he should come by here, but it's probably not very likely.

· Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicaabruno
sirpentor,

Basically, I changed my username to make it easy for myself if somethings happens to me or my computer or whatever else could happen. I'm all over MDC. With that reply I was confused by what meant before, wish I forgot now.
Uhm. OK. I hadn't realized that I had said anything of note so far. But since you have forgotten I suppose it no longer matters.

· Registered
3,320 Posts
Quote:

It will be let loose to crackers. That's called irl. All MS wants to do is cover its litigation-scared reputation. I don't work FOR MS but I work with MS a lot, and the consumer's convenience is not typically on top of their priority list.

· Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by simonee

It will be let loose to crackers. That's called irl. All MS wants to do is cover its litigation-scared reputation. I don't work FOR MS but I work with MS a lot, and the consumer's convenience is not typically on top of their priority list.
Now I feel stupid: what is this 'irl' of which you speak?
Given the last several years, MS better be nervous about litigation. However, I must disagree with you about 'consumer convenience'. The people with whom I work bend over backwards to make things available, solid, feature-rich, and convenient for customers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.