Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My SIL just moved out from her parents house and into university dorms. For Christmas this year, I'm making up a recipe box with some recipes that will be good for her and easy to make. The tricky part is that the only appliances she has are a microwave and a hot plate!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does anyone have any suggestions for good microwave recipes? Preferably vegetarian. I did google it, but there are so many ideas - I was hoping for some favourites! I should also add - I am looking for more snack, appetizer, dessert style recipes. She visits the cafeteria for her main meals.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

·
Registered
661 Posts
<p>I make cheese enchiladas this way, it is a great idea for dorm food:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Microwave a few corn tortillas until soft. Keep them wrapped in a cloth napkin so they stay pliable while you work with them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>On a plate (preferably a large one) place a tortilla, a small pinch of finely diced onion (could also do a spoonful of chopped green chili or canned jalapeno), and a small hand full of shredded cheese, I usually use cheddar or colby (I am going to say 1/4 to 1/3 cup if you need an amount) Roll the tortilla up so the seam side is down. Repeat for a plate of two or three enchiladas.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Open a can of enchilada sauce, (note, this keeps very well in the fridge). Pour sauce over enchiladas so that the tortillas all have sauce on them (no naked exposed corn tortilla). Microwave for 3 or 4 minutes, until when you poke into the middle of one you see the cheese is gooey and melted.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Top with whatever you like. I love chopped lettuce, cilantro, and sour cream.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts