Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi-
I grew up about 30 miles from Midland in Mount Pleasant. Midland is a small nice town with a university and Dow Chemical as one of the major employers. Merrill is a burg not far from Mdland. Mostly farmland around there and when I was in high school it was considered somewhat a hick town. That was 20 years ago...NOW it is probably a kind of "suberb" of Midland. As with any area there are goods and bads. Contact the Chamber and also talk to a realtor in Midland as well as Merrill, even one from Saginaw and get their opinion. I live in northwestern MI near Traverse City and prefer being a little more north.
Best of luck on the move!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Kathleen -- thanks! My husband grew up in Mt. Pleasant -- he went to Shepard schools. That's why we want to live near Mt. Pleasant (but not TOO near! :LOL) -- I actually like my MIL and she still lives there.
The Traverse City area is beautiful, I grew up vacationing around there -- in the Beulah/Benzonia/Frankfort areas, mostly. Unfortunately, it would be hours away from family, and that's our main reason for moving back, kwim? My mom lives in the Haslett/Perry/Williamston area, so I wanted to be somewhere kinda in between.

Merrill is still pretty small -- I had to laugh when I looked up what businesses were in town: 2 gas station/convenience stores, 2 restaurants, 1 pizzeria, 2 bars, 1 library, and (are you ready?) 8 churches!! :LOL I knew it was small town Michigan, for sure!

My mom, MIL, FIL and step FIL all looked at a few houses for us yesterday, but the 1st one needed about $100,000 put INTO it, the 2nd sounds like it wasn't really my style, and the 3rd is too far out of town -- my dh has to have access to a cable modem for his job... so it's back to the drawing board.

I found a great house in Midland, that is probably pretty close to being my dream house (in this price range, at least! :LOL), but I have to find out about the neighborhood. I think I'm going to have to just bite the bullet & haul myself & the boys up there & do some shopping myself...I'm just squirmy over the idea of having to shell out more $$ to pay for a ticket for my 2 year old!

I'll probably do it soon, though, as we spoke to our realtor here on Friday, & he offered to buy our house himself!! And at the high end of the price range for our neighborhood, too.
I can't believe that I might be back home in 60 days (gulp)!

Here's the link to the house I'm lovin' right now (I just have to share! :LOL). http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1046842012

·
Registered
997 Posts
I noticed you were looking for someone from Midland, MI. I live just outside the city limits, just down the road from the Dow headquarter buildings on Patrick.

Here is two things I noticed we have in common.... My husband's name is also Tim, and I was born in Florida !

I like the house at the link you sent. Want to give me the address and I'll drive by and see what I think? I know the area pretty well. We've lived here for over 4 yrs. We moved here from Petoskey/Harbor Springs. My husband and I both attend Delta college. Check out my sig for info on our kiddos.

Take care!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Alison! My MIL actually went with the realtor yesterday, & it's just as perfect as it looks!
I'm coming up Tuesday/Wednesday to take a look & put an offer in -- I'm so excited!
I'm glad there's another Mothering mama in the area -- once we're moved up there we'll have to meet up.
It's looking like the end of August/beginning of September.

See you soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts