Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a UK doula, currently 13 weeks pregnant and moving to Frederick, MD in August. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by the whole US birth system to be honest and could do with some help!

I want to have a homebirth for my second baby and know there is the option of CNM or CPM care. I'm veering towards looking for a CPM but understand they are not licensed (or is that legal?) in Maryland. Does anyone know where I can start looking for one or can anyone recommend one in my area?

My first baby was an attempted homebirth which was transferred to hospital due to meconium in the waters (actually, it was just staining and he was 10 days overdue but I wasn't as clued up as I am now!). He was OP but I only had a 10 hour labour, vaginal birth with entonox and a one degree tear, even though he was 4.76kg. I'm sure I can birth naturally again.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Lindsey

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kelly, thanks so much for the information! I will get in touch with Barbara. I did cross-post on the Maryland tribe and got one response which was a fairly positive one! Thank you :) L.x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Amy, I have been in touch with Liz and she would be willing to take me on so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is all going to turn out OK!

Best wishes, Lindsey x

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hi there, I know that homebirth is officially illegal in MD; I know that there are a few women who do. There is a new free standing birth center in northern VA in Chantilly, just opening up this month. The midwives opening it are CPMs and have been practicing in this area for a few years. Here is the website:

www.birthbydesign.org and www.novabirthcenter.org

The distance from Frederick to Chantilly is about 45 miles; in minimal traffic it would be about an hour; in extreme traffic it could be like 90 minutes. I just wanted to let you know about another option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bekka, it's always good to have other options! I don't think homebirth is illegal in MD, I think it just has to be attended by a CNM as CPMs aren't licensed - yet. I'll look at the websites you posted, thanks! L.x

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi LinzW--

Welcome to Frederick! You're right on the legal status of home birth here. I've had a home birth with a CNM and one with a CPM in MD. :)

Was attended by L last week & had a wonderful experience. Hope she works out for you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
To future people looking at this thread, it is NOT illegal to have a midwife attended home birth in the state of MD. You can legally have a CNM present at your birth, you can not have only a CPM present at the birth. There are options for midwife home birth, they are greatly limited though. There are options and riverside midwifery is one of them for the Frederick area. That is who I am using!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.