Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:<br>
We are considering TTC. At present, I have medical ins, but no maternity ins (so ins if there are complications....but not for an uncomplicated vag birth-which I certainly am hoping for!). My last birth as a hospital birth (with mat ins)--completely uncomplicated, but costing upwards of $10k. For my (theoretical) next baby, I was hoping for a homebirth.<br><br>
So I called our local midwife center to find out my options. Seems like there is only one group of mw in town. Yes, they do offer homebirth services. Yes, they also have a birth center. And the cost is: $5000 (for prenatal, delivery, and postpartum care), whether you use the center or not.<br><br>
I thought that was strange....seems like women who homebirth are being charged a facility fee regardless. Is this the standard billing procedure? And, does this fee seem reasonable? We will pay what we have to, of course. But I'd like to know if I am missing an equally safe, but more affordable option.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
That sounds odd to me. I had a homebirth and switched midwives @ 30 weeks so I got to see how two midwives charged. The first was a CNM and charged $4500 for everything (plus labwork, and plus a fee for the nurse she brings for backup.) The second (who was OH so much better) was a certified midwife and was $2400 for everything (plus $200 for the backup midwife) But since we switched late it was $2000. Worth every penny.<br><br>
good luck figuring it out.<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That does sound a little strange. I don't know if thats standard billing procedure or not, but wanted to tell you that my midwife has a birth center also and she charges $4100 for prenatal, birth and postpartum if you choose to birth there. I had a homebirth however, and paid her $2600.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It sounds inappropriate to me, but of course much of the insurance of prenatal/birth/postpartum care sounds inappropriate to me. I don't know if it sounds unusual. If you don't get enough answers here, you could try calling another midwife center and ask them - even if you don't plan on using them you could get an idea of whether or not the practices of the local midwives is normal. You could also ask for an explanation of the fees and EXACTLY what is covered and what isn't (it sounds like maybe you already did this, but maybe there was a misunderstanding?). I'm considering a homebirth (not even ttc yet, but some day) and am interested in any information. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts