Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm going to buy mine a watch. Hers broke, and she mentioned to me she doesn't like the one she got to replace it. She also mentioned all the qualities a midwife's watch has to have, which makes shopping easy! (in case you're wondering, her requirements are: indiglo, big second hand, stretchy band - preferably cloth not metal - and as professional-looking as possible) I think I'll buy a watch that fits all the mechanical criteria and make a stretchy band to fit it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If I could afford it...gift cert for a massage, maybe? Or for dinner?

But we're already paying a lot (though of course I think she deserves more), so maybe something cheaper that's still a treat.... ideas??

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Our midwife works with a few different international operations, where she travels to other countries (this year it is Sénégal, West Africa) and works with local midwives not only to teach them some of her tricks, but also to learn theirs. I plan on making a contribution to their trip, as well as making her a small travel bag.

links about their organization:
http://withwoman.org/
http://www.africanbirthcollective.org/

Our last midwife, I donated to a different (but similar) organization and made them a little card that said soemthign about passing on the blessing of having loving hands with us when we birth.

Edited to add: Our contributions are never anything big - less than the cost of a massage - but if it pays for one day of their meals, it means one more day they can afford to stay and help.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm planning on giving something. Just haven't decided what yet. Possibly a gc to a favorite store or books for the client library or something along those lines. I just want to make sure that I show my appreciation.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I'd love to give my mw something special and heartfelt (she's going through some tough personal stuff right now) but I can't think. I know she needs a new bag, and she was looking at my Land's End diaper bag (she picked it up by mistake at my house last month, because it is the same color as her old bag) and she exclaimed about how great it would be for a MW bag, what with all the pockets and great organization, etc. So, I was thinking about getting her one even though that's not very sentimental. I know she would appreciate it, and it's about what I can afford anyway. I've also been taking her fresh-baked bread, which I know she appreciates. I will probably just give her a card and framed picture (of her with the new baby) after the birth. Not very spectacular or original, I'm afraid!

Looking forward to seeing more great ideas!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Sarah, could you link me to this bag? I have a terrible time finding just the right thing. I used a tackle box for a while and it was handy, but a tiny bit cumbersome. Much TIA.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Absolutely! It's a great diaper bag, durable, perfect for cding (esp. if you have 2 in diapers at the same time!) and not too expensive! And not too girlie...dh is never embarrassed to be lugging it, lol!

Actually, it's a bit too big to be used as a small trip bag...if we're going to be out and about, walking around, etc., I carry a smaller bag with just an extra dipe and a couple necessities and leave the big one in the car. But it's great for all-day trips or weekends....I can carry junk for all three kiddoes and still have room (organized room at that!) for my stuff!

And as much as I've raved about it, I'm sure everyone here thinks I'm getting some sort of commission, LOL!

http://www.landsend.com/pp/DoItAllDi...?CM_MERCH=SRCH

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
DH and I brew wine, mead and beer as a hobby, so we'll probably do the same thing we did last time and make a "Babymoon" mead for the midwives and bring it to their spring birth center picnic. Last time we flavored it with camomile, rose hips and orange peel, and i did labels with DS's picture on them. It was an ENORMOUS hit! But this time I want to do something spicier since this baby just seems like a spicier little guy... maybe cardomom and vanilla or saffron or something like that...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
DH and I brew wine, mead and beer as a hobby, so we'll probably do the same thing we did last time and make a "Babymoon" mead for the midwives and bring it to their spring birth center picnic. Last time we flavored it with camomile, rose hips and orange peel, and i did labels with DS's picture on them. It was an ENORMOUS hit! But this time I want to do something spicier since this baby just seems like a spicier little guy... maybe cardomom and vanilla or saffron or something like that...
Oh. my. gosh. YUM!?!?!?!?!!?!!! I want some too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.