Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on midwives in and around Springfield? I just found out I'm pregnant and looking for a good MW practice. I want a hospital birth with minimal pushiness. I had my son at a practice in NH where there were MWs and OBs in the same practice and really liked that. I live in Ludlow, so I'm thinking Baystate would be ideal location-wise.

I've been to Holyoke Midwifery and didn't like it at all. I've been to Northampton Midwives at Cooley Dickinson and was generally happy. That pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage though, so I think that tainted my experience. And I'm worried that it might be too far to drive for a winter baby's birth.

Any suggestions? I'd love to hear your experience at local hospitals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used the midwives in Holyoke and liked *most* of them. How many times did you go/how many MWs did you see? Ginny ****** was my favorite - I can't speak highly enough of her. Additionally, the nursing staff at the birth center at Holoyoke Hospital was fantastic! I had a long, unmedicated, some what risky birth there (nothing too serious just had been ruptured for a long time and not going into labor...and resisted pit ... for longer than they normally like) and they respected all my wishes.

If you are totally closed to Holyoke, I know people also love the midwives in Greenfield, but that may be too much of a hike.

Good luck, I know trusting your MW is the most important thing!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use the Drs. at Baystate OBGYN Group (www.bogg.com). I know they have several midwifes in their practice too. They have an excellent reputation and are affiliated w/ Baystate Med Ctr. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Congrats on the pregnancy!

I love the Holyoke Midwives and I had a fabulous experience at the birthing center at Holyoke Hospital. I thought the nursing staff was awesome. I am happily seeing them again for this pregnancy. What didn't you like about it? Just curious because I've only heard good things about them. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i third the holyoke sentiments. liked most of the midwives but it was really the nurses at holyoke who respected our "non-mainstream" decisions that struck me. we LOVED those nurses. we were prepared to fight for what we wanted but they never even asked me to sign a vax waiver. right after birth one them went as far as to tell me that we made the right decision in not vaxing. when we were cosleeping in the hospital a night nurse commented on how my daughter was the perfect temp because she was "right where she belonged-with her mama". and they all loved checking out our cloth diapers.

great experience overall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.