Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this but I have a question. My 13yo dd had an ovary removed yesterday and will have to have regular gynocological check ups for the next 2 years, at least. Is this something that needs to/should be done by a gynocologist or can she be seen by a midwife?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm not sure exactly but since no one posted yet, I thought I would. Doctor Jen? Are you around?

I would think that for check ups, a CNM would be just fine. I guess it depends on what kind of check ups they have to do. A CNM can treat many things within the realm of normal or even a coupla variations from normal, and can schedule sonograms through her office and do bloodwork/hormonal evals. I would think you/she would get better care through a CNM, but then that is my bias unless you find a wonderful doc you love. A good CNM will know exactly what is within her scope of practice and since I prefer midwives so strongly over doctors (in most cases) I would start with a midwife (CNM) and see what she has to say 'bout it.

Good luck. Sorry to hear her ovary had to be removed, btw. I hope all is well. I have two friends with only 1 ovary and neither had any problems later on getting pregnant or otherwise.
Love to ya,

mj

·
Registered
147 Posts
She wouldn't necessarily need to see an gyn or a CNM, she could see a professional midwife, as well. I know several CPMs or lay midwives who do regular well-woman care (Paps, checkups, etc). Many CPMs can send labwork in and can do the same scope of care as a CNM (in terms of normal well-woman care), although the situation may be different in different states. ALso, I guess I don't know exactly what her checkups will require. If they are just that, a knowledgeable CPM could do it, too. Just letting you know there are more options!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I specified CNM because in our state, at least, the CPM is trained to do well-woman care only, and this sounded like a case that might be a little more complicated due to the fact that she is seeking care because of a past problem. Here, the CNM would have more training and skills to handle a wider scope of assessment/treatment rather than the typical client who comes to the CPM healthy, and with the desire to assess the maintenance of a healthy state of physical being. I don't really know enough about the OP's DD or her case to comment more than that, but that's what I was thinkin'.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
In my state, CPMs can only do pregnancy and post partum care, but CNMs can do well-woman care. I'd recommend calling the midwife you have in mind and asking her.

My second choice would be a Nurse Practioner associated with a Gyn - you get more time, more liklihood of actually seeing them personally, and I've found them more gentle.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
so why did she have her ovary removed? PCOS? if she has PCOS she should have and endo consult and really look into diet and exercise to protect her body in general. if it was cancer..... probably follow up with the same doc she has been seeing because he/she already knows her history and would know what they already have seen.
an mw who does regular pelvic exams and pap smears can do care and run the labs- but it depends on what she has going on

other things for PCOS like b vitamins and magnesium-- more green vegetables in the diet-- in fact more vegies and fresh fruits in general and greatly reduce the grains -- some women are thin and some are heavy who have pcos so weigh is not always a tell-- 13 is very young to have an ovary removed- and the removal alone can cause hormones to tilt around quite a bit--

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.