Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned that I'm pregnant, so on Monday I get to start calling midwives! Any recommendations? I obviously want the one that I click best with, but all things being equal, I'd prefer someone who does prenatals at home rather than having to go out to, say, Birthcare.

I'm am tentatively considering a waterbirth, so midwife who is cool with that would be good too.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
None of the homebirth midwives I know are doing home prenatals anymore. I know they do one or two at the end at home, but the rest are in offices for the most part. BirthCare, Evelyn Mulhahn, Joey Pascarella, Susan Dodge are the CNMs doing homebirth in MD. There are CPMs as well, but I only give their names by PM.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Homebirth? What area are you in?
In DC itself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

We're planning a home birth for November and have hired Susan Dodge. She does all of my prenatals at our home. So far she has been fabulous and we are really excited about her being at the birth. Feel free to send me a private message if you want more details. Her contact info is at this link, under Chesapeake Midwifery.
http://www.birthoptionsalliance.org/...2009-05-11.pdf

We also interviewed Mairi Rothman and Erin Fulham who were great (and who I believe also do home prenatals), and Joey Pascarella, who was really great too!

Good luck and take care,
Sara B

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hi, congratulations!!

Check out the list posted above- Erin and Mairi (MAMAS midwifery) would be a great choice- they do all home prenatals and support waterbirth! And, they're in Takoma Park so not far from you.

Susan is a wonderful midwife as well.

There may also be some Virginia homebirth midwives that may meet your needs. check out www.novahomebirth.org for a list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just had a homebirth with Mairi and Erin (MAMAS midwives) and Susan Dodge played birth assistant--though she's a midwife too. All of my prenatals were at home. I rented a tub but didn't have baby in the tub--though they would have been fine with it. Can't recommend it enough. It was four days ago. They were awesome. Feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions. Good luck and congrats!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts