Last week Houston, TX was pummeled by rains for days, resulting in flooding of buildings and streets across the city. While many were certainly reminded of the power of unpredictable weather, surely none were more aware of this than a mother in labor and her midwife.

The Katy Birth Center sits in the heart of small town Katy, TX, just west of busy Houston. A beautiful, peaceful placed owned by Cathy Rude, a Certified Professional Midwife. She lives near the birth center but during the floods, her street was completely under water. When she got the call from an overdue client that labor had begun, she had to get creative.

She went outside and saw a neighbor floating on an inflatable swan and asked for a lift to a truck waiting on a clear street. So, she loaded up her things and floated to the expectant family's rescue. A few hours later she delivered a baby via water birth in the aftermath of historic Houston flooding.

13041086_10154766260699951_5114081003998630139_o

The caption on her Facebook photo reads, "Midwives will do anything to get to a birth! Riding a swan to get off my flooded street and make it to the birth center!" They certainly will!

I would say I'm surprised, but I actually expect nothing less than this type of commitment from her. Cathy actually delivered my first baby. The day I met her she was so warm, wise and caring and I knew immediately she would make good on her promise to support me through labor, no matter what.

Many previous clients echoed the same sentiments in the comments on her Facebook photo. She has clearly made an impact on countless lives, but this example may be the most far reaching. Her photo and story have been published in newspapers across the country and as far as the UK. I can absolutely attest, no one deserves the recognition more.