Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of finding a new midwife. I have an appointment with one today who I thought I was going to love, but after talking to her on the phone I wasn't impressed. There are a few things that really bugged me. She's pretty much charging me full price. She said she would knock off a couple hundred because I already had lab work done, but there was nothing else she could do. So basically I'm paying $2500 for a couple of prenatals and the delivery. Plus I still have to buy a birth kit from her even though I already have one because hers has the stuff she needs in it. Things like cord clamps. Umm I have that stuff in my already purchased birth kit. Another thing that bothered me was that she said that she basically wants to see me EVERY WEEK until the baby gets here. I don't know about you, but to me that seems a bit excessive right? I don't really see why I have to drive 45 minutes every week to see her, for what? Weight check and bp check? I can do those at home.

This wouldn't be so bad except I talked to another midwife yesterday who was so totally wonderful! I loved her just from talking on the phone and I know we would really get along. The only problem is.....she's not accepting anyone due in the month of September. It's her 50th birthday and her mother is getting married. So, it's a big month for her and her family. I totally get that! Midwifes have lives too! It just sucks because I know we would have been great together.

I have one other mw I can call. I'm waiting until Monday because my friend who knows her said she's out of town right now. I'm hoping that she'll be a better fit than the one I'm going to see today. I'm also hoping that she'll give me a bit of a break for the price and that she isn't going to want to see me every week until the babe gets here.

Oh yeah, the first mw wants the full $2500 by 37 weeks. That's 3 weeks to come up with that money. My original mw took our insurance so we didn't have to save up that much. We do have some money in a CD, but that won't mature until Sept 21 which is way too late. I guess I could try to borrow it, but I hate doing that!

Ugh! I just don't want to be stressing about it right now!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I'll let you all know how the meeting went when I get back!

Blah!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm so sorry you've had such a problem with midwives this pregnancy! What a PITA!! With just a few weeks to go, you'd think you'd get a big discount as you'll only need a handful of prenatal visits and attendance at the birth. And why can't she just work with the birth kit you already have? If there are a couple items she absolutely needs, then you can purchase those, but a whole new kit is ridiculous!

Well, I hope you have better luck with the midwife you're talking to on Monday. It would be nice to figure out who will be attending your birth ASAP!

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sorry

I switched midwives around 27 weeks and still had to pay the full $2500, plus the other $600 from the last midwives that we owed. It sucks! But I love my new midwife. She said she had to charge me in full because of all the catching up we have to do. I just wish I had started out with her in the first place...
We also have to buy a separate birthing kit (not included in the $2500) and the tub ($75) and we have to rent the things needed to keep the tub heated(another $75).

I totally know how you feel about the money piece. I feel like we are going to go broke having this baby! Thank goodness babies don't require too much in the beginning, so there will be no other big expenses right away.

Good luck with everything. I hope you can find something that will make you happy

·
Registered
4,332 Posts

I REALLY hope this next Midwife is a super great match for you!
That sucks about the $$$, you'd think they'd be a little more understanding/accommodating

My Midwife charges a certian ammt for each prenatal visit, and a seperate fee for the birth.
That seems like a more reasonable thing to do, because you're going to have people who want more/less appointments.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I was happy to find a midwife that ONLY charged 2500 instead of the more common 4000. I switched to her at week 28 and shortly after started seeing her on a weekly basis. We had to paid up in full by 36 weeks.
I can understand that. I bet it's a pain in the rear to collect after the fact. Afterall what are they going to do if you don't pay? Repo the baby?
So to me this all seems normal, etc. The price is reasonable compared to many others, I enjoyed my weekly visits and I understood why they would want to get paid up front.
While I was in labor they spend a whole night here with us and half a day. They came back the next day to check on teh baby and a week later, etc. I felt it was worth the 2500.

I do hope though that you find a better match for you with your next interview.

·
Registered
376 Posts
wow! i hope everything works out for you!
now i almost feel bad that my insurance covers so well. granted, home births are completely illegal here - at least for the mw - so i have the headache of having to go to the hosp unless i want to be turned into cps. but at least the max i'll have to pay out of pocket for everything is $750!! i actually see a group of 3 mw's and i love them all, so im happy about that aspect too

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
all in all i am sorry your having a hard time. i just can't wrap my head around having that huge of a bill when someone does so little work. but of course i have insurance that covers 100% of everything. so far i just buy stuff FOR the baby not the birth!!!

i also don't understand how it can be illegal to have YOUR child in YOUR home!!! i don't get it!!! how is that even constitutionaly compliant?????

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I signed the contract at 32 weeks and I'm also paying the full amount. I think that's normal. As for the prenatal visits, she said every 2 weeks or more if I need it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks ladies for responding. It makes me feel better to hear that most of you have had to pay pretty much full price even when signing on at such a late date. It turns out her actual fee is $3300, but if you pay by 37 weeks then it's $2500. She's only charging me $2300 plus $150 for the rhogham and $100 for the pku test (but I don't have to pay the extra $250 until my 6w pp visit). We also went over what is in my birth kit and what's in hers and I have everything except for 10 chux pads and a couple of baby hats. So, she's ok with using my birth kit.

She seemed much nicer in person than on the phone. We spent a good 2 hours going over all of the questions I had for her and she answered them just as I would have liked. She is just very straight foward and blunt. It was off putting on the phone but it wasn't bad in person like I said. I think we're going to be using her. I feel comfortable with her and so does DH. She's pretty much as hands off as I want her to be, except for the weekly appointments. At least we can use that time to get to know eachother right?

Thank you all for the support!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
to basically see you weekly (aren't you due in Sept?which is soon) I think she is a good midwife, from what you wrote.

If you are a HBAC (as I was my last birth) I think the midwife who is charging you basically full price and is willing to see you weekly as a potential HBAC, is a wise woman. She knows that any hbac (especially with no prior vag del) is one that will take time & energy, that in the long run I don't believe you will regret.

I was a doula for years, and am also a hbac myself. I still think she is a wise woman this midwife. To take on a hbac this late in the game, I know most midwifes would want to really get to know their client, as to help thier client with achieving goal of a hbac.

This is imo........from one that has helped mamas vbac, and had vbac herself.

bjunkie

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you bjunkie
She is a very wise woman. On the phone though she just sounded cranky and pushy. I'm still not thrilled about driving to her every week (gas is expensive
) but it will give us a chance to get to know eachother.

BTW this is not my first vaginal birth. I birthed my daughter and a set of twins vaginally. Then I had a set of twins by c-section.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also want to add that I wasn't complaining about how much she was going to charge me because I don't think she's worth it. I was just suprised at how much it would cost even though I'm transfering my care to her so late in pregnancy. I definitely think that all midwifes deserve to be compensated fairly for their time, effort, and expertise!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:
At least we can use that time to get to know eachother right?

Maybe that's why she wants to see you so often, since you have such a short time to form a relationship. I'm glad she made a better 2nd impression!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts