Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any comments, experiences or insight?<br><br>
I was pleased to call them and find that 1 - they take my current insurance (cigna) and also take tricare (my husband is enlisting so our insurance will change). and 2- As long as you don't have a vertical incision (I don't, both of my are low transverse), they will take a VBA2C.<br><br>
I have heard good things about Shady Grove and their birthing wing but am looking to see if anyone here has had first hand experience.<br><br>
There is an orientation on the 19th but I'm not sure I will get to go. It's a drive for me (about 45 min from home) but will be worth it if I don't have to sacrifice my VBA2C simply because of finances and insurance.<br><br>
So... Anyone have experience they can share?<br><br>
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have my first appointment the first Friday in June. I picked them because I met a few woman at LLL meetings that VBAC with them and had the experience I was looking for. I am meeting with Terri in the Frederick office.<br><br>
I wish I had more to tell you, but like I said, I picked them because I actually met the people in real life locally that had a great experience.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much!! I think I will be calling them back and scheduling an appointment with them. I guess I will have a lapse in care until they can get me in (oh well, not much going on right now). The only thing we disagree on is the GD testing... I can't consume that drink without getting sick (it's waaay too much sweet and sugar for me, as I run on the lower end of the range so it jumps me way too high too fast and then crashes). Hopefully we can work something out with a real food test because I just can't do that drink unless I want to be puking, lol. Other than that, I felt very good about everything she was saying on the phone! She even told me that given my distance, I should probably leave home at the start but labor nearby in a hotel ... Most would say 'come right to the hospital' but she said a lot of moms will travel the distance and just labor nearby and come when they're ready.<br><br>
I also like that the MW's are former birth center MW's.... Makes me feel I have a heck of a lot better chance at the natural birth I desire.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
the Frederick office is about 30 minutes from my house, the hospital I think is about 45, but that is the same with Mercy or Maryland General.<br><br>
I never thought about laboring at a hotel, though, only if it was possible snow storm in forecast, since I am due in January. I am hoping if I get a doula, she will decide the best time to go. I was induced last time, so I have no idea how much time I will have.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a fairly quick labor with DD (15 hours from first contraction to my transition and being near complete) so I'm thinking it may be less this time... I am the same distance I believe if I were going to birth at Bethesda Naval Medical Center... I would rather labor as long as possible near the hospital than end up transitioning on the highway in rush hour traffic. I apparently transition like a frieght train (90 seconds for my DD and she was poor position) so I don't want to wait too long because of the distance. At least laboring in a hotel will allow me to avoid the continious monitoring (though I plan to refuse this) and heplock for as long as possible!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts