Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...I am a current nursing student and finding that I am WAY out of the "norm" of nursing school. I am finding that the majority of my classmates really have no respect for autonomy and informed consent. I respect both of those issues firmly and feel as though becoming an RN, while right now is necessary because I am in the program might just NOT be for me. I am really into birth and I am fascinated by a woman's ability to know her body enough to bring forth such a miricle (when left alone). I feel as though the medical profession is falling further and further away from allowing women to <span style="text-decoration:underline;"><b>birth their babies</b></span>. I wanted to know if anyone had any information on any of these questions:<br>
1. in what states are lay midwives/ Certified Midwives legal?<br>
2. in what states can CNM's deliver babies in freestanding birthing centers or do homebirths?<br>
3. can certified midwives deliver in hospitals or freestanding birthing centers anywhere in the US?<br>
4. what programs are there for women to be trained as certified midwives or lay midwives?<br>
5. does anyone know of a midwife (no matter where in the US) who might be willing to take on an apprentice?<br><br>
I know....a ton of questions. I am just really feeling this calling towards midwifery. It saddens me to go to class day in and day out and see more and more people being pumped out of nursing school with this "Doctors are God" attitude, and the belief that people who are the least bit "crunchy"/ "alternative" are WRONG. Though alternative parenting choices and birthing choices may be the minority in this country, it does not mean that thye should be less tolerated. I want to be able to stand up for my patient's/ clients in a role as their advocate and caregiver....a role that right now I do not see as possible with becoming a nurse.<br>
Alicia

·
Registered
495 Posts
I highly recommend checking out the book "Paths to becoming a Midwife" put out by Midwifery Today. It discussess CNMs, CPMs, CMs, lay midwives, and the educational paths/legalities and pros and cons to each.<br><br>
I am going through the Association of Texas Midwives program (<a href="http://www.texasmidwives.com" target="_blank">www.texasmidwives.com</a>) on my path to become a CPM (also see <a href="http://www.narm.org" target="_blank">www.narm.org</a> for info on CPMs).<br><br>
I choose the CPM route, because it fits my belief system of birth much more so than going through the nursing/medical route.<br><br>
If you need names of people accepting apprentices in the DFW area, PM me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts