Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a UC and considering whether or not to tell my hospy midwives (there are six!). I am recieving prenatal care at a military hospital, which so far has gone fine (I've only had a few appt's and an u/s, and I'm 25 weeks) and I don't mind at all because the prenatal care is very hands-off (weight, fundal height, temp and bp I think is all they check) but I'm definitely set on a UC. Do you think I should tell my midwives? I haven't got the chance to get to know any of them well enough to know how they would take the news (another reason I don't want to have a hospital birth-- they're pretty much complete strangers). I don't want to feel like I'm going behind anyone's back or that I have something to hide, but I don't want to have to defend my decision to them. Any advice?

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
I wouldn't tell them. They might have to discharge you from their care if they knew. Better to ask forgiveness than permission (not a great analogy, but I think the idea comes across).

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I plan to come in the next day for a birth certificate application, and to show them that yes, I really did have a baby. I don't plan on telling them it was an "oops" though, because I don't feel it necessary to lie. I think I'll just tell them after the fact that I had planned a UC, and that it was not necessary for them to know about it. I'm mainly wondering if you, as a practitioner, would feel disrespected if one of your clients were to UC without letting you know ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I agree with you that it is not necessary to lie.... just tell them the truth after the baby is born
Only b/c they might be bound by insurance co's, hospital rules, etc and may not be able to have anything to do with you if they know you are planning any sort of home birth.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
I haven't decided if I am going to call my mws or not when I am labour, but they are aware of that. However, in any case, I am planning a home birth, and I think that is a vast difference from hospital midwives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.