Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I have heard some say you should be wearing gloves, sterile when handling the newborn.

I don't wear gloves because I don't want the baby being exposed to the latex right at birth. I have nonlatex gloves too, but I only use them to check the palate if I need to or something like that.

Maybe other midwives do? I just think the baby needs to feel warm, soft skin when I am doing my exam. But I really don't handle the baby very much at all. Right at birth I give it to mom or dad. Then I might keep an eye on it, maybe listen to lungs/heart or something, but I do this while parents are holding baby.

Then after about 15-20 minutes, I do my newborn exam, weigh, footprints, etc. on the mom's bed so she can see what I'm doing/looking for and baby/mom are still very close to one another. That only takes a few minutes, then it's back to mom to nurse.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I try to avoid latex gloves -- at this point I really just don't want to deal with even on unexpected problems in mom or baby-- so when I first touch a baby during birth I do have gloves on and actually I have gloves on until the placenta is born, cord is cut and mom and any blood is cleaned up so I may be sans gloves for small bits of time but they are on in a flash as well- when we weigh and measure the baby I also take a quick and I mean quick look head to toe to see if anything is unusual-- I guess I could wear gloves but don't because it would take more than just gloves to protect a baby from my germs at this point- the baby would be in contact with my clothes and I would still be breathing in the room / and when holding the baby breathing right on it...

probably how they have a hard time with cross contamination in a hospital nursery you would need new clothes for each baby- and wear a mask all the time...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I wear gloves (nitrile) when catching baby, when checking babe's palate and when doing the newborn screen at 24 hours. The rest of the time, no. My newborn exam requires to check pulses. If baby's creases are vernix coated, I use a corner of the recieving blanket babe is on and check the pulse through that.

ETA Why: at birth to protect me and mom (who is wide open at that point) from germs. At the NBS, to protect baby from germs (because there's a wound that could possibly be infected).

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
I wear gloves (nitrile) when catching baby, when checking babe's palate and when doing the newborn screen at 24 hours.
At the NBS, to protect baby from germs (because there's a wound that could possibly be infected).
I wear sterile nitrile for birth but vinyl for other things -- atleast I think they are vinyl they are not laytex in any case. I also use them for NBS and Checking palate -- and any shots--- yes protective for baby and me... sterile nitrile for sutures too

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Where do you find your sterile nitrile gloves? The only time I use sterile gloves is suturing or checking after ROM (which I don't do much), but my sterile gloves are laytex. I'd love to find some sterile nitrile, as I have really started to hate laytex!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts