Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any midwives in the Tampa area? Also, can you deliver at the hospital with them?

Or do you know of any natural birth friendly OB's?
thanks

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hi there, I know that there are independently licensed midwives here in Tampa but they would not deliver in a hospital unless you were transported for emergency in which case, they may assist the birth but you would probably be delivered by an on call hospital physician.

The most popular midwifery group here in Tampa is called labor of love. They also have a website laborluv.com I think. If you go through them you have the option of delivering at the birth center which has very nice bed and breakfast style rooms and a whirlpool tub or you may opt for a homebirth. I went through them for a homebirth and ended up with a repeat c/s in the hospital after 24 hrs of labor. Once I was transported to the hospital my midwife was nothing more than a support person. Unfortunately I don't believe the state of Fl has any hospitals really set up for midwife deliveries.

I'm not aware of any particularly natural friendly physicians here. In fact I used to work for several ob-gyn practices here in Tampa. I am of the opinion that if you want a truly natural birth your best chances lie in going through a midwife at a birthing center or at home. Otherwise you are increasing your chances of c/s, induction, doctors ripping up your birthing plan (yes, I'm serious), etc. That isn't to say that there aren't some great physicians here. I'm sure there are...but they will still likely restrict a lot of your birthing experience as long as you are in the hospital.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I will be calling labor of love. Tampa General has a group of CNM's. I will probably call to see what they have to say. I just need to get DH onto the idea of not having a hospital birth!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Let me know about Tampa General. I didn't know they have on staff CNM's doing births now.

Here is one thing to keep in mind though. I read some of Sheila Kitzinger's books about different birthing medical models and it seemed like the mainstream hospital midwives sometimes were not a lot better than the physicians regarding freedom and natural births. I'm not sure if that was their personal ethic or just hospital policy but something to think about.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdk View Post
Thanks,

I will be calling labor of love. Tampa General has a group of CNM's. I will probably call to see what they have to say. I just need to get DH onto the idea of not having a hospital birth!
I have a friend who had a baby in April and she used the CNM group at Tampa General. She loved them and had very very positive things to say about her experience. She was attemping a VBAC and they were very supportive. She didn't end up having a succesful VBAC due to some issues with the baby, but she's still very happy with her care.

The midwives I've used did not have hospital privelages so we had UC.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdk View Post
Here's the link to the CNM's at TG

http://www.whcflorida.com/node/5

Crunchy is this the group? I assume the whole group sees you. Do you know who she saw? I made an appointment with Labor of Love today. I'd like to check out a few places though. All I know is I need to get rid of my current office very soon

She told me that she rotated throughout the practice, but never mentioned anyone's name. She liked all the ones that she saw.

My second child was supposed to be born at Labor of Love in Lutz, but when we arrived we were locked out. We beat the midwife there, so my dh ended up catching her outside in the garden. The midwife arrived about 10 minutes later.
: Quite the experience.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crunchy,
What? Your baby came out in the garden?????? Holy moly! I'd like to hear that story!

I have an appointment with the TG group. They let you have a free 10 minute consultation! I better talk fast. The only thing bad about them is they are out of network for my insurance so it will cost a bit more.

Has anyone heard of the group with USF? They deliver at TG also. I tried calling their office and didn't get much info so I emailed the 4 CNM's with a few questions.

My DH is not keen on me not being in a hospital

·
Registered
37 Posts
what ever you do, stay away from Bayview OBGYN in St Petersburg.

I delivered my daughter there via emergency c section under general. While the midwife (well actually med-wife. she likes her epidurals) Lucy Bosley was alright, the head OB Dr McNeill is a pomposs jerk. I have never been more offended and insulted in all my life by a practice than that one.

I called for a yearly, had some problems with my insurance and got it sorted. I told Tonya, the money gal, that I just didn't want to get stuck with a huge payment my insurance didnt want to pay, so I wanted to make sure it was straightened out. Well she called me back on my voicemail and said as a "good faith" precaution they would take my credit card number and charge me if Aetna didn't pay. Then she THOUGHT she hung up and proceeded to talk crap about me to the nurse for 4 minutes.

When I complained, the office Manager Corrine was really receptive, wanted to her that message. When I got there, she didn't care and brushed it off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Crunchy & CDK,

Do you have any more info about the midwives at TGH? When we finally get pregnant, I'd like to check them out first. I want as natural a birth as I can handle, and my DH would like it to be in a hospital since it would be our first. (A natural hospital birth is fine by me. As long as they let me "do it my way".
) Also, I live about 3 miles from TGH...pretty convenient!

I found the TGH midwives' website a while ago, but I have no other info on them regarding recommendations and opinions. Could you (or anyone else out there) who might know anything about them offer an opinion?
:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.