1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I am in a position where I have to decide to have my daughter either:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1.  finish her 3rd year (Kindergarten) in her montessori school</p>
<p>or</p>
<p>2.  take a spot at the elementary school I wanted her to be in</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If she finishes at the Montessori school, she will not have the option of getting into the elementary school I wanted.  It is just a public school, but it is a good school, with good people, and is the same school her sister attends and my girls are very close.  If I want her to go to that elementary school, she must start with kindergarten and forgo the Montessori school.  if she does not attend this school for K-5, then she would finish montessori for K, then 1-2 would be at a K-2 school, and 3-5 would be at another 3-5 school.  If she does take her spot at the elementary school, she would be there for K-5.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As it is I was already not sure which place is better for her given some behavioral concerns with her and also some feelings I have been getting from my experience recently with the school.  In addition, I have recently filed bankruptcy and I truly have no money in my budget to pay tuition.  The tuition would have to be borrowed months on the heals of a bankruptcy.  I CAN borrow the money, I just haven't decided if it is in the best interests of my family.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I really hate being in this position to make this decision.  I had planned all along for her to stay at the Montessori school through K, but the district has changed all the rules on the elementary schools.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hate not knowing which school would be better for her as that was the decision I had to make before, but now 1st-5th hang in the balance too of what I choose for kindergarten.</p>

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<p>I am also concerned that she will be much behind the other kids at the public kindergarten.  The way Montessori works, she hasn't really focused that much on letters, writing or reading.  She does know here numbers and can write them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It is expected that she should be able to read a little bit before starting kindergarten here or at least be very close to it.  She doesn't even recognize very many letters yet nor does she even know what sound they make.  It is also expected that children entering kindergarten can write all their letters and can write their name.  She can't.  I don't even think should could write individual letters yet.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am very concerned about her lack of preparation for public kindergarten.  I can't make her suddenly learn her letters.  It was never a concern in the Montessori program because it was just something she was doing other works in preparation for and she had started working on writing and recognizing letters (in cursive which does not help her at all for public school). </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So somehow I need to get her ready for public kindergarten by the start of the registration and screening which is projected to start in 1 month.  It just isn't possible.</p>

·
Registered
68 Posts
<p>What a tough decision! I'm sorry you have been put in this position and hope you can find the best way forward for your family.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm also sorry to hear that you feel your daughter is behind the other kids who will be starting public kindergarten. I'm just wondering - have you heard about these expectations directly from teachers at the school or is it based upon what you've heard from other parents? If you decide on the public kindergarten option, I would encourage you to be talk very openly to the school about your concerns - I'm sure they also want the best for your daughter and should be willing to work with you to provide your daughter with the best support in making the transition. My feeling is that frantically trying to acheive a huge improvement in your daughter's reading/writing skills before she starts may backfire and make her unnecessarily anxious about the transition.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Wishing you the best of luck with your tough decision!</p>
<p>Caitlinn</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts