Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update on #13
I visited home for the first time in a couple years last week, and was surprised to find out that my 14 yo sister deals with bad headaches/migraines on almost a daily basis. At one time while I was there, all the kids were popping packaging bubbles, and she was clasping her head and in tears. She apparently never really complains about them anymore, just deals with them.
I don't know much about what her lifestyle is like right now, and I don't know much about migraines in general, but I'd really like to give her some ideas if I can. DH and I both suggested that she try *really* drinking a lot of water, but I don't know if she'll actually try or not. I'd like to send her and my mom an email with ideas or even real resources to check out, to see if anything might help alleviate the headaches. So if anyone has anything at all they'd like to share with me, I'd sure appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Could have something to do with her cycle. Sometimes birth control pills can help alleviate symptoms. Also, women are more prone to this condition called PFO, or patent foramen ovale. This condition can also cause migraines. Has your sister been seen by a Neurologist? If not, that would be a good place to start. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I use chaste berry (vitex) and feverfew daily to prevent migraines and balance my hormones. It has worked very well.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
i'd tell her to start tracking them - to see if they are related to her period. mind started when i was 13, worsened when i was on bcp, and almost ceased when i went off the pill - so the connection is there.

also have her track foods - be aware of connections to chocolate, caffeine, processed meat (hot dogs, sausages), orange juice, and either hard or soft cheeses - i can't remember which.

AND have her track environmental triggers too - for a while mine were worse when i was in an environment with recycled air (like a mall) or sat in the back of a bus with the window open (exhaust fumes).

hth!

·
Registered
931 Posts
If she's dealing with them on a daily or even weekly basis she should see a neurologist. I dealt with migraines on and off for years, thought they were related to my cycle and bcp. After having one for almost 30 days straight I saw a neurologist and was diagnosed with a meningioma, a benign brain tumor.

If she wants a temporary solution try Head On, an over the counter remedy. Or peppermint oil works wonders for me as well in preventing them, stopping them from getting worse. Just apply to temples.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Migranes can be caused by MSG exposure. Go to www.truthinlabeling.org and www.msgmyth.com and look at all of the information, especially the hidden sources of MSG. About 35 different ingredient names can be MSG. Also google 'migranes' and 'MSG' and you'll get a lot of hits, including numberous testimonies of people whose migraines disappeared when they avoided MSG.

It's injected into meat, sprayed onto crops, in our cosmetics, personal care, medications, supplements and almost all packaged foods, including canned and frozen foods. EVEN ORGANIC. It's very difficult to avoid, but it can provide amazing relief. Now that I'm off MSG, my daily headaches are gone, along with a host of other problems, including many things that I never thought were connected.

·
Registered
897 Posts
While waiting for her appt with the neurologist, have her try the max dose of ibuprofen for her age/weight (as an adult, I take 800mg) along with a source of caffeine (a Coke, cup of coffee, or an Excedrin - which is aspirin/tylenol/caffeine combo). If she is getting them almost daily and is already taking pain relievers, she may be getting rebound headaches, which is something the Dr can figure out, too. Poor thing - she is way too young to be having this much pain! Hope she is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had migraines since age 12 - I am now 41. I have been through every drug treatment, chiropractic care, accupuncture... My husband is a dentist and 2 years ago he went to a seminar where he learned that migraines are triggered by nightime clenching. You might try this website http://www.headachehope.com .

I have used this small bite appliance for 2 years and I went from daily headaches to only 1 - 2 per month. Hopefully she can get help without being exposed to all the drugs I have tried!

My best to her!

Sam

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I had headaches everyday as a teenager. Sounds like a very similar situation, I wouldn't complain about them, just endure, and hide away when it was really bad. It was at least in part due to food sensitivities for me - lactose intolerance, and sugar imbalances. I couldn't eat ANY sugar, had to have regular meals with protein - every 3 hours or so. Sometimes we assume young people know what we do about nutrition, but we have to teach them about how to eat for energy, not just which foods are nutritious.

BTW: This is the major reason I hate doctors- they didn't want to put any effort into figuring out what was causing the headaches, just perscribed drugs. The first drug kept me from sleeping which gave me a headache from lack of sleep. So I went back and they said, well, let's try a different drug, then. And I never returned. I suggest she try a naturopath who will look at her whole health including diet.

Also, good news, I outgrew most of it - I'm just not so sensitive anymore. It lasted about 4 years.

gisele

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I'm a 25 year migraine sufferer, so I've been around the block on this issue.

I'm short on time, so I may have to come back later...

Diet is important. Lactose and white foods are big triggers for me, even though I refused to believe that for 10 years or so. I didn't think that they were because they are not the only triggers - so I didn't believe they were any triggers.

When in crisis, ice on head, heat on feet and optionally back/shoulders as well. This in combination with excederine works to ease a crisis.

That said, if vomiting or nauseated, the meds are pointless, as one just hurls them up, resulting in increased head pain from the force. So judgement is called for there.

Massage is critically important for me. This is true on a couple of levels.

1. In the crisis moment, DH (used to be my mom) rubs my feet hands, and then legs and arms. It's really crutial for getting over it. If no one is around, get a water jet foot massager (not vibrating kind) for 30ish bucks, and it serves as the heat and adequate massage in a pinch.

2. Long-term, I think that structural massage is so important. I see a St. John's Method deep tissue therapists, and an Applied Kinesiologist. This combination of modalities has been very effective and complimentary to each other. I think it's impossible to overcome a pattern of migraines without addressing the structual aspect, even if it's not the original cause. If you've suffered for a while, you have structural problems that keep the cycle going. And unfortunately, Joe Blow chiropractor is not going to cut it.

Neuro testing is important, though I never had any. They didn't care that much about it in the days when I learned to manage. I was just told I was attention-seeking and given narcotics. So I do reccommend having some testing to rule stuff out, but one has to avoid being caught up in the hysteria and condescention of the business. If she doesn't want to depend on drugs, she shouldn't be pushed into it. I would just try to get someone strong and effectively protective of her to help her through that process. I know from close friends that it can be amlost debilitating in and of itself. It can also be empowering and a relief. But ya just don't know going in...

Send her my hugs. I know how terrible she's feeling.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Oh, one more thing that helped...

Memory foam pillow with the big side under the neck. It reduced the frequency by alot. And that was before I acknowledged the foods or got deep tissue work done. Before finding those other longer-term solutions, I didn't travel anywhere without that pillow!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a really old thread, I know, but I just heard from my mom today. They finally got around to trying a naturopath doctor, and the first thing she did was some bloodwork. And they found out that my sister has allergies to dairy, wheat and beef. UGH. Poor girl. She's the only one in my immediate family, and all the extended family I can think of off the top of my head, with any known allergies.

They've eliminated the foods for about a week now but she's still getting the headaches, but a lesser intensity. Dairy, at least, does take a while to clear out of the system, right?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Yes, dairy and gluten can easily take 6 weeks to clear out completely. Plus, if she's reacting to gluten and not just wheat, gluten is present in rye and barley as well as wheat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.