Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm facing a dilemma. I've taken Imitrex in the past but my dr says that's not safe while bf'ing. They gave me Fioricet which made me sleepy but didn't cure my headache. All I hear from them is that I have 'really limited their options for treatment because of my choice to breastfeed.'

My options at this point are being a horrible parent because of the pain or weaning my son unless someone knows of a 'not dangerous' migraine med that I can take?

I really don't want to wean him, he's only 7 m/o & he LOVES to nurse & we've struggled our way this far I'd like to make it a year at least

*crosses her fingers someone will have some info for her*

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
you may need to research the safety of the herbs on kellimom's site (she's got the most comprehensive list I've seen) but would daily feverfew be an option? I know it has been known to help prevent migraines. When I have a migraine, not often, thank goodness, and I am free to, I take one of my good post c-section pain pills (I figure they knew I was BF'ing at the time and gave them to me to take) and sleep for 4 hours and I am fine. Granted, I don't get them often, maybe once a month or so.

do any non-medical things help your migraine? Sitting under a really hot shower for a while will ease mine to managable territory sometimes, or laying with an icepack at the base of my neck for about a 1/2 hour.

Other than that, I can't think of anything, but hope maybe someone else has some more options so you can continue to nurse and be a pain-free mama

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Can you get your hands on a copy of Hale's "Medications and Mother's Milk"? Lactation consultants usually have them, or maybe someone here has one. He's the expert on, well, medications and mother's milk and has way better information than just "category A, B, C, or D" that most medical references have.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Huh?? Imitrex is absolutely safe for breastfeeding - researched, approved, everything. My neuro even accepts it as safe during pregnancy, though they don't yet have the final stamp of approval. It burns me up that they'd pressure you to quit BFing over imitrex.

Now... that being said, I have taken imitrex while we've been nursing, and I have to warn you that at least for me, one of the side effects makes it a last resort to get rid of a headache for me. Since it works as a vasodilator, I get pins and needles all over my skin - especially my scalp, lips and throat. Well, it also happens to my nipples and nursing feels like fire. I imagine this is what thrush feels like, but then it goes away in less than a day, so its not that.

I also like a drop of peppermint on my head. Also sometimes a can of coke and a tab of zofran.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Who is perscribing your meds?
How often do you get them?

If it's a constant thing, then you need to find SOMETHING, even if weaning needs to happen. Hopefully CalaRei is correct and Imitrex is fine. Talk to a neuro!

It it's a once in a while thing, if it were me, I'd probably just decide to do Excedrin migraine with a can of coke or two. Usually that would knock them out long enough for me to get to bed and sleep it off.

Good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Imitrex is safe and I too have the side effect of BF'ing/Pumping feeling like fire. The first time it happened it hurt enough to make me contemplate quitting BF'ing for a moment. But I've since dealt with it a few more times and its totally not a big deal. I'm taking Lopressor as well to prevent my migraines all together. Its working wonderfully. I've only needed the Imitrex twice in the past 6 weeks. If you are concerned about any medicine you take, you can always pump/BF before you take the med so that by the time you pump/BF again, it will be virtually out of your system all together. HTH and take care!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I can't take the triptans like Imitrex, but my Fioricet doesn't always work for me. I also (when not pregnant, obviously!) occasionally take Cafergot. It's not preferred and is a Level 4 according to Hale's, so I would try to pump and have some in the freezer for the occasions that I needed to take it.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I have been trying to go without my Imitrex and so far I have been ok. I watch my triggers. That means I had to give up some foods that I used to be able to eat in moderation. I also have yet to get a really severe migraine because I really watch for early symptoms and treat with a mix that happens to work for me.

I consume a ton of caffeine. If its really bad I eat a huge meal filled with fat and protein. Then I top it off with sugar. A common one is a bacon cheeseburger, fries, onion rings, several cokes, and then chocolate cake. There are intestinal consequences the next day and I don't even want to think about the calories, but for some reason this works most of the time.

Everyone is different, but I just thought I would share what has worked for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.