Mothering Forum banner

Migraine Suffering mamas? Medicine question

547 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  melamama
My dr gave me Midrin for my migraines. I have never taken it before, normally I take imitrex and vicodin or darvocet for the pain that comes with them. I took one last night for the first time....yeah the pain went away, and so did almost all the mifgraine effects, but it knocked me out cold til 9 am this morning. But....

I WOKE UP WITH A WORSE HEADACHE THAN BEFORE!!!

Has anyone else taken Midrin before? Did you have problems with it?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
it's been a long time since I used it--I never got satisfactory relief from it, but I think since midrin is supposed to block the migrane maybe what you got the next day was a rebound?
was it a migrane again in the morning?
hope you're feeling better.
Quote:

Originally Posted by melamama
it's been a long time since I used it--I never got satisfactory relief from it, but I think since midrin is supposed to block the migrane maybe what you got the next day was a rebound?
was it a migrane again in the morning?
hope you're feeling better.
I took it at 11 at night, and woke up for a few minutes when the alarm went off for DF at 8 in the morning and was feeling kinda dizzy and had a tiny headache but when I got up at noon, it was a full blown, keeo the noise down, keep the shades closed and a blanket over my head migraine.
I used it a couple of times. You have to take it at the onset, and yes, it knocks you flat. I found it took the edge off the pain at best, and didn't like the drowsy feeling. But it is considered a "lesser" med as opposed to the vasoconstrictors; it is supposedly better tolerated. I had a horrific allergic reaction to imitrex. Doesn't feel like there are many good choices out there.
what you describe is why I moved away from conventional medicine for migranes---having meds take one away, to be replaced by another when they wear off was never worth it.

now I do chiropractic and homeopathy and I've got them under control.

have you had a chance to check with your doctor?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.