Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My migraines are back with a vengence, and I don't know how to cope. I'm in so much pain. The percocet doesn't work well. I really need to be onpreventative meds, but they aren't compatible with nursing, I have worked too hard to nurse and pump to give abm.

Has anyone dealt with this? Anyone else deal with chronic pain and nursing? I'm pretty useless right now. can't care for her properly.

I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My dear sweet woman.....
I have terrible migraines as well, but thank God only 2 or 3 since baby has been born in May.

Have they offered you feroenol? I was given that to take home from the hospital because I had a migraine while still in the hospital with baby girl. None of these are great options as they treat the symptoms and not the cause of the migraine. However, the feornol did help me and makes me less groggy than the percocet. They did give me percocet as well though, becuase I had an unplanned C-section.

Before I was pregnant I went to a pain management clinic to help my migraines which has helped a lot. Additionally I was receiving regular massage at the height of my migraine trouble. Cranio-Sacral therapy combined with Massage really REALLY helped me a lot. Massage therapy can be expensive, but if you are not able to function and you are already spending $$ on meds that aren't working, it is worth a shot.

In addition, I found that getting snuggled in bed with Ice on the top of my head and on the back of my neck seemed to help....staying warm while applying ice in ziplock bags is helpful.

Do you have help with your daughter? Can someone help you when you are really in pain? I know how painful migraines are....During my labor with my daughter I really thought about the fact that, for me, labor was less painful than some migraines that I have had.

If you want to find a cranio-sacral practitioner you can google the upledger institute and find local practitioners there...I went to someone who combined massage and cranio work which truly truly changed my life and helped me live with significantly less pain.

hang in there

·
Registered
56 Posts
My sympathies--sounds terrible. Looks like you already got some good advice from saribeth. Just thought I would mention that my chiropractor has treated many people with migraines with some success--you might try this.

Best wishes. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
the fiornal ( not sure of spelling) with ds#2
the best thing I ever found for migraines was feverfew and wood betony but I have NOO clue if those are ok for nursing.
Maybe the new herbal migra eaze spray ?

Have you also tried the Migraine ICe patches ? those helped me a bit when I was still nursing. I would cut it in half and put half on my forehead and half on the back of my neck..

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of my triggers is my hormones (I've had migraines for at least 8 years). I just had my second pp period. I"m sure that's the trigger. Nothing to do about that unfortunately.

My insurance won't cove chiropractic ( it gave some relief during pg).

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I took fioricet for my migraines when I was pg. I have blinding, unbelievably painful migraines so since I could not take my reg. med IMITREX I was told to take fioricet. I haven't taken it now, while bf'ing because I have not had migraines but I will have to ask my MW what to do when it happens.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Part of the concern is that in the past, the pain has made me suicidal. Childbirth, with a episiotomy and 4th degree tear, hurt less.

I was told this morning by the pd (who is knowledgeable about bf) that I can do imitrex as a last resort if need be. Just give her ebm for one feedining. Pump and dump for comfort.

I pick up my toradol scipt later.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Imitrex is great, but I have to take 200 mg for my migraines. I am not sure how long that would take to get out of your system. My migraines have no triggers, so you are very luckly in that you at least know what may bring one on
I had a terrible time right after I had ds with migraines. I eneded up having to take pain meds to just basically knock me out. Mine lead to blindness once they get full scale...literally can't see. No part of my head can be touched because it makes me vomit from the pain. I don't know if it helps to know someone is out there with ya or not, but here I am
I'll be bfing soon and am scared to death to have a 2.5 yr old and an infant and have my migraines come back. During pg I am blissfully migraine free. PM me if you ever just need to talk, mama.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I'm 30 weeks pregnant, and I have to take Fioricet for my migraines when they get really bad. Without preventative meds I get them daily.
I wanted to stay off the meds during pregnancy and bf'ing, but just couldn't do it with the frequency and intensity of these things. I ended up on Zoloft as a preventive during the pregnancy and will stay on it for bf'ing as well. Daily meds were not my 1st choice, but I felt it was a better choice (for me) than trips to the ER and shots of Demerol multiple times a week. If I just have a mild one, then a rice sock either cold from the freezer or heated up in the microwave helps me. I also take a magnesium supplement which seems to help.

Good luck, I hope you find some relief.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.