Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where you look in someone's diet for triggers?<br><br>
My friend has been having horrible migraines for most of her adult life and also was anorexic/vegetarian(ie ate cheese puffs and drank OJ all day) and is now interested(tenatively) in TF and eating better and even eliminating in the hopes to eleviate these headaches.<br>
Where would you start?

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Eating better and starting a food journal to find the culprit.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I guess I'd start with gluten or dairy & then follow with the other, if necessary. Some people get headaches from chocolate, cheese, wine, etc - but those should be easier to pinpoint since people don't usually eat those things every day..<br><br>
I used to get very frequent headaches as a child - about 3-4 a week which almost always ended in vomiting from the pain. I don't know what my trigger was then, but I know that I ate MSG & obviously had no idea what it was back then.<br>
I've had a few ocular migraines as an adult that I could have sworn were another case of meningitis - they were that bad.<br>
Aside from those, I would get headaches a few times a week & take ibuprofin at the first sign because if I let it go too far, once I got to a point, there was no turning back from it ending up with vomiting, a dark room & silence.<br><br>
I haven't had a headache in a very long time now. Early this summer I decided to try to stay really hydrated. (I had also eliminated gluten about a year before.) I still had headaches w/o the gluten (but did have relief from other problems after removing the gluten) & still took ibuprofin.<br><br>
I don't know exactly what happened. I drank a lot of water for a couple of weeks, didn't have headaches & didn't take ibuprofin. I'm aware of rebound headaches (from pain relievers), but I don't think that was the problem because I wasn't taking ibuprofin for days in a row. Maybe I flushed a bunch of toxins out?<br><br>
Magnesium could also help your friend. Sometimes if Dd1 has a headache, I'll give her a lot of magnesium every hour or so & it relieves it. Especially if it's a tension headache.<br><br>
Other triggers could be birth control, anti-depressant drugs, allergy medications, etc.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Oh, and chiropractic. In the past, if I don't go to the chiro for a few months, I sometimes got headaches & after getting adjusted just once, they'd stop.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I only had a couple of migraines but both times they followed green beans (which I don't eat very often). I looked it up and green beans are apparently a fairly common trigger so she should investigate that as well.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Myfood triggers include: MSG, Red 40 (and annatto), red wine, chocolate, some cheeses, too much dairy, yeast, and many things with artficial colors/flavors.<br><br>
I want to try eliminating gluten to see the impact, but haven't yet.<br><br>
I also suggest magnesium. I really think it helps me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
How is her protein intake? I get a migraine if my blood sugar gets low.<br><br>
And I second the chiro recommendation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts