Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm just looking for reassurance. Today was one of those days.

Yesterday, ds (age 4) started spontaneously writing letters and asking us how to spell words. So that's a big milestone--

But over the last couple days, I have had to re-babyproof my whole house. He's on a tear, getting into every "off limits" thing he can. It started with him eating some toothpaste out of my cabinet (had to call poison control and the whole bit), then sneaking upstairs to dh's home office (can't BEGIN to list the hazards in there), then climbing on top of the dresser to reach a high shelf in his room, then swiping a sharp bottle opener from the kitchen drawer, then unplugging all the speakers from the sound system, and playing with his dad's electric razor.

Obviously, the solution is to put all this stuff out of his reach, and I have done that. It's just all of a sudden that he's doing this; up till now if I said something would hurt him, he seemed to believe me. He's always had a relatively cautious personality. When he got dh's razor, I ended up closing off the bathroom so that he has to have me with him when he goes; I just don't know what to do with all that stuff to keep it out of reach if he climbs on the sink. I will have to solve that ASAP.

I'm just overwhelmed because he seems to be bouncing around the house looking for something off-limits to get into. Right now he's at the store with dh, so I can be rational, but at 4 p.m. today, I had to wonder if he was just TRYING to p*** me off.

What do you think of my theory that it's related to this developmental thing?

Please be gentle in your responses. I've had a rough day.

· Registered
6,658 Posts
We had a day like this today, and my dd is 3.5 y.o.

In our house I think it's because she was bored (she asked me a couple of times what we could do...) so my solution was to pack everyone up and to go out to a playgroup.

Hang in there, Mama.

· Banned
4,333 Posts
We have found a definite connection to dd (3.5) reaching milestones and crazy behavior -- namely sleep interruptions (she has been sleeping through the night for about a year now).

It always comes as a surprise though -- like she will go absolutely NUTS and I will think, okay, she is about to do something great ---
and then...nothing... then about a week later, boom she is writing more letters or something and I think ohhhhhhhhhh THAT'S why she woke up 10 times that night last week and why she tore up the house.

Even though that is what *always* happens about a week before a milestone.

So yes, with us, it is absolutely true. It is like she turns into a different child for a couple days about a week before a big developmental leap.

· Registered
11,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
We have found a definite connection to dd (3.5) reaching milestones and crazy behavior -- namely sleep interruptions (she has been sleeping through the night for about a year now).

So yes, with us, it is absolutely true. It is like she turns into a different child for a couple days about a week before a big developmental leap.
This is how my daughter is too. Around her birthday which always coincide with big growth she is having all kinds of behavioural stuff going on. Then it settles back down to just her regular wild stuff.

My youngest seems to have his sleep effected the most with milestones, waking every 30 minutes to nurse ect. My middle guy is pretty laid back and I never really noticed any behavioural changes with him and milestones.

· Registered
2,205 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened in my house when DD was 4.

it was exhausting, annoying and wonderful all at the same time.

· Registered
728 Posts
Aha! I think so.

DD was really acting out of character for about 10 days. Testing limits, pushing buttons, I was ready to send her to grandma's.

Then she started to write and is trying to read. I left the room today for a few minutes while she was painting and came back to see she had painted her name for the first time. (she can't write S very well, but painted it perfectly)

It does seem like she has gone through behavior issues then developmental spurts.

It makes sense.

Doesn't make it easier, but it makes sense!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.