Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened to be flipping through my dh's Tricare Prime handbook today and noticed this thing about getting your newborn in DEERS. It says you have to have a "live birth" certificate from a hospital or birthing center. There's nothing in there for homebirths. Does anyone know what to do in such a situation? I don't think I can get a certificate from my MW cuz it's not safe for her to sign anything.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I just went through this. You just had to give DEERS a NOTARIZED copy of the live-birth form (or similar) signed by whomever attended the birth. This could be your husband, if your MW can't sign for some reason. But DEERS told us it had to be notarized.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I get this live birth form from the health department or could I get it from my FP when I take the baby to a doc? I have Standard so I don't go to the military docs.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I got this form from the health dept--along with a big stack of papers to fill out for 'homebirth'
I love how it asks me inappropriate questions like if I'm married and if I have any STDs...lovely...

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha Mrs_Hos. I don't know if I could get that stuff from the health department. Homebirth itself is not illegal in this state but it is illegal for a mw or other medical person to attend a homebirth. I will have to ask the people here about it. I tried to go to a homebirth meetup yesterday but I couldn't find the group.
:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Actually it is allegal here too...not legal or illegal.
But...they have the forms--I think they are geared to the 'oops didn't make it to the hospital' births...
Maybe call the vital statistics people and tell them that you have a 'history' of going really FAST in labor and delivery and want the forms just in case! (or to peruse!)
I'm guessing you're in Jacksonville? I'm from Goldsboro--AF family...mom and dad are still there.
I have a friend there who is pretty knowledgable of things...breastfeeding, CDing, slingwearing, and I think she wishes she had a HB too...may have some info for ya...she is here on MDC--name is Gena...her 'handle' is hunnybumm

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You can get the forms from your local county or state vital records department, or from an OB or a family practice doc or a MW. It has nothing to do with the 'legality' of HB. What if you had your baby on the floor at the grocery store or in a taxi cab? Wouldn't you need to get a live birth form to file? You just ask for it and they give it to you. Why not have your MW get one for you, if you don't want to go into vital records? You might even be able to download it off of the vital records website. But it has to be notarized when you turn it into DEERS or they won't accept it. We had it signed by our MW and dh took it into DEERS and they refused it until we had the MW get it notarized.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
Why not have your MW get one for you, if you don't want to go into vital records?
I don't have a problem going tothe vital records office. The problem with this is that my MW has already told me she can't sign anything. So I was wondering who I would get to sign it since it seemed that Tricare required a medical professional. I didn't know if a ped or FP would sign it after the fact. I mean, I could walk into their offices with anyone's baby and say it's mine. If anyone can sign it and have it notarized, maybe I can get my doula to sign it. I'm not sure how the laws are about that sort of thing.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
ANYONE who is PRESENT at the birth can sign the live birth form, including YOU. But, you can have dh sign if he will be there or your doula, or whoever. They will just have to sign the certificate in the presence of a notary.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thanks, Stacy. My dh won't be here so it would have to either be the doula or another support person, if I have one. I'm sure I can work it out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
weve been going over this too, except we are overseas, so it adds to that as well. our MW said she does not give us anything, we have to go to a local town (we live in a teeny village) and have them print out a birth cert for us, THEN take that to DEERs, both MW and dh seem to believe baby will have duel citizenship becuase of this...seems like it should be okay, except that dh has a coworker whose wife just delivered (in base hospital)..of course they had no problem getting into DEERs, BUT they were told baby would not have duel citizenship and have had to immediatly order a ss card from the states so they could get thier baby a passport and visa?!?? then we hear visa's have gone to over 1 thousand bucks! owwie!
:

....so i feel so confused over all this. when we first moved here (2 years ago) i was under the assumption you only acquired duel citizenship if mom or dad was English, then child would have it..but not simply for being born here...i talked to a head liason at Tricare offices here on base and she said MW would give us the birth cert to register at the base...but when we asked our MW she is saying she doesn't have anything to give us and we'd need to register child in the English system first, then take that birth cert and use it to register onbase, which would give duel citizenship... *scratches head*

anyone have any ideas? anyone here that happened to homebirth in england and was american military lol...???

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no idea about the dual citizenship but I thought your military ID was all you needed to go overseas if you are stationed there. I didn't know you had to get passports and visas.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I have no idea about the dual citizenship but I thought your military ID was all you needed to go overseas if you are stationed there. I didn't know you had to get passports and visas.
yeah. when we moved 2 years ago both our 2 yr and 1 yr old had to have thier own passports and visa's. the girls and i got "military issue" passports, i.e., made on base and we didnt have to pay for them and dh just traveled on his orders...but all of us had to buy visa's, which at that point in time were near 300.00 or so each, and that we had topay out of pocket for.
i see my MW today and she has a client that just delivered not too long ago, who is american military and is going through all these hoops, so hopefully i can get in contact with her and get a better idea of what to expect when the time comes.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by littlelambs View Post
all of us had to buy visa's, which at that point in time were near 300.00 or so each, and that we had topay out of pocket for.

There was no way to get the military to reimburse you for that? Seems like if that's a regular and required cost of going overseas and you are going on official orders, they should pay for it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.