Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my baby on the 19th and we've been working really hard at breastfeeding. She wouldn't latch on at first but after a few rough days we finally got the hang of it for the most part.

Now I seem to have SO much milk, I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what's normal and what's not since I've never breastfed anyone before. When she nurses there is milk all over, we soak everything! She has no problem drinking what's coming out of the boob she's on, unless she's just comfort sucking then she'll spit it all out. And the other side pours milk out at the same time soaking everything! She's gaining weight and having plenty of wet diapers (though a lack of poopy ones).

I feel like I can't go out in public because my shirts are constantly soaked no matter how much I stuff my bra, even if she's just nursed half an hour ago they're already almost engorged in a short period of time! Pumping out all the excess helps temporarily, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. I'm afraid it might cause my body to think it needs to make even more milk or something. My breasts get sore so easily, they feel bruised. They're aren't really any hard lumps or anything, they're just tender all over from having so much milk (I think.) At night I can't hardly sleep due to the tenderness and the leakage. I stuff a towel in my shirt and wake up an hour later with it soaked! The baby cannot eat that much milk, she will easily sleep 4 hours at night without wanting to nurse.

I feel like we're drowning in milk over here. Is this normal for the first few weeks until things even out, or is there something I can do to make it stop??? I would love to go somewhere or do something without constantly being soaked in milk.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hugs to you momma and Congratulations on your baby!! Lots of mothers around here have suffered from over supply. Now you are only less than 2 weeks pp and engorgement can still be going on during this time while you are establishing your supply. While at home I suggest you let down both sides of your bra when nursing and just place a cloth diaper over the one your babe isn't using.

Now for the pumping. You need to stop that.
Sounds counterproductive I know, but what you are doing is encouraging a larger supply. At least that's what it sounds like to me. What you might try is nursing your baby from one side and then only expressing enough milk from your other breast to release some of the tention and take it down a notch under rock hard status.

This problem usually does subside some on its own after the first few weeks. But again, make sure your not emptying the breast you don't use during your nursing session b/c when you do that you are telling your body that your baby will eat the entire contents of that breast during each nursing session, and so your body will always want to fill up both sides. Is that making sense?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your baby!
The engorgement and leaking phase can last longer for some mamas.
I'm a little bit concerned about the lack of poopy diapers. Is she pooping at least 2 or 3 times a day? What color is it?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little off topic: About her lack of poopy diapers--She hasn't pooped in almost five days! We took her to her well baby checkup and the doctor said she was fine. They even checked to make sure there wasn't some kind of blockage. Then they told us to give her a bottle of sugar water or a suppository, but not to worry if she didn't go for a week. The last poops she had (they are the only ones she's had since she got rid of the meconium stuff) were brown and green and runny. When the doctor checked her bum to make sure all was normal up there the little bit of poo that came out was yellow. I am kind of worried that she never poops, I'm afraid she might have inherited my digestive system.

At the natural childbirth class we took they told us breastfed babies could never be constiptated and that lack of poop was because breast milk has so many nutrients there just isn't much waste. I'm hoping that's true! If you have any good suggestions on how to make her go (without giving her a bottle!) I'll be glad to hear them...

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Normal! Though- stop pumping! You're telling your body- more milk! more milk! and it's listening

the poop (and lack of) is totally normal. Let her be. Breastfed babies can go 7-10 days without pooping sometimes. Perfectly normal.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I had an over supply problem after my first was born that lasted many, many months. Breast pads were a joke. Here are my suggestions:

*Put a Chinese prefold cloth diaper in your bra at night or around the house and keep extras to change out frequently.

*Always bring and extra shirt, bra, and several breastpads when you go out.

*If you leak, don't be embarassed. Screw what people think. You're feeding your baby.

*Make sure that you're not accidently eating any galactogogues. The kellymom website has a list. I had to stop eating oatmeal for a year.

*Remember that it will get better even though it might take a while and it will probably be better with subsequent children. Your body has to learn to regulate itself.

*When you are nursing on one side you can catch the other side's dripping in a cup and save as backup. Our put it in your tea or coffee if your not too squemish for that.

*Just don't wear a shirt at home. We had to use a coin op laundry when my first was born and it was too expensive for me to try to stay clothed all of the time.

*When you're nursing in public, stick your hand in your bra and press on your other nipple to stop the flow then stuff a prefold or something into catch the leaks. I know you think this can't be done discreetly but I swear it can with practice.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I'm 6 weeks out and I think my supply is just now starting to regulate and even out--though she's going through another growth spurt and that could easily send it into overdrive again. Point being, it can take a LONG time for your body to adjust! I cover the not-currently-in-use breast with a cloth diaper in bed, and I LOVE my wool nursing pads when we go out. I've never leaked through one yet, they were worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Is she gaining well? Gassy or fussy? If everything is ok, then the poop issue is probably not a big deal. Usually in the first 6 weeks or so, babies poop about 2-6 times a day. As long as she's gaining well and not showing other signs, then relax and let your body regulate to how much she takes. you got lots of good suggestions here.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice! It seems like no one ever mentions the over flow of milk you have in the beginning, no one warned me!

Cloth diapering my boobs, what a great idea! I can walk around proudly knowing I have tie dyed prefolds in my shirt.
:

She is gaining weight really well, she lost almost a pound after birth because of our latching problems and at her check up at 9 days old she'd already gained back her birthweight plus an ounce and a couple chins! She might not ever poop, but at least my milk is making her chubby...

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper44
Thanks for all the advice! It seems like no one ever mentions the over flow of milk you have in the beginning, no one warned me!

Cloth diapering my boobs, what a great idea! I can walk around proudly knowing I have tie dyed prefolds in my shirt.
:

She is gaining weight really well, she lost almost a pound after birth because of our latching problems and at her check up at 9 days old she'd already gained back her birthweight plus an ounce and a couple chins! She might not ever poop, but at least my milk is making her chubby...
poop is the bodys way of getting rid of waste. Since your little one seems to be growing so well, doesn't seem that there's that much waste.

Just be prepared for when it *does* happen, it's gonna be HUUUUUUUUGGGEEE

Like woah baby huge leak down the legs and up the back and everything. Not even the most well stuffed Pocket will be able to contain it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i always had tons of milk with my first baby (can anyone say bring back the milk banks!) with all the leaking issues associated...this time I found these things called lilypadz that you can get on ebay for about $16 a pair or directly from the website....they really work! they are like pasties, thin and made out of silicon, that hold pressure on your nipple so that when you are nursing from one side milk doesn't leak out the other. this way i can concentrate on managing the chin-dribblin' spray goin on on the active side without soaking the other side of my shirt too

i just wear them when i go out and don't want a cloth diap sticking out the botom of my shirt. nice for summer and thin tank tops too. nursing this eight-week old in public is so much easier than my last one.

**this is my first post even though i've been lurking for months, it's not a spam for lilypadz or anything and i'm sorry if mentioning products by name isn't allowed or something, i'm just so grateful to have found something that helps with this and wanted to share with other mamas!!**

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those lilypadz things sound like an amazing invention, I'm going to look for some to try!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
My second little girlie earned the nickname "Super Pooper" within days of her birth. At 19 months, she still only poops every 3-5 days, and it's HUGE. So watch out!!

I also have always had over-supply issues. I have heard that a lot of moms are able to quit wearing nursing pads after the first few months, but I need them throughout my bfing time. I decided to quit using them when my oldest was two y.o. and I was sitting in a college class and looked down to see a huge wet spot on my chest - lol.

When NIP I use my arm to suppress the flow from the breast that's not currently in use. (Instead of my hand, which probably would raise some eyebrows - not that I care THAT much, but I do try to be fairly discreet.)

You mentioned the doctor said to give sugar water - don't do it! As you already know, babies don't need anything but breastmilk.

Good luck, and congrats!!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I am not pregnant or have any kids yet but I also love Lily Pads. My sister turned me on to them. I use them because I hate bras!!! The lilly pads are great for going braless and not showing nipple so I bet they would be great on the over milking front.

Good Luck

·
Registered
865 Posts
I never really had the problem of too much milk, although I did leak. One idea that maybe you should run by your doc is to take an anithistamin (sp?) or allergy pill. I had to and my doc said the only bad side effect would be that it would dry me up a little, but not enough to bother my son. Just an idea.
I did and am still nursing my 7 month old.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts