Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my grains last month and so far they have not multiplied at all. I started them first in organic milk, and then a week ago switched to grass fed organic (whole milk). Why are they not multiplying? It takes about 24 hrs for them to turn the milk into a nice kefir, so they are working, slowly. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Is your organic milk ultra-pasteurized? If so, it is likely too sterile to culture bacteria.

From culturesforhealth.com:

Quote:
Q. Can I use UHT (ultra-high temperature aka ultra-pasteurized) milk to make kefir?

A. We do not recommend using UHT milk with any of our starter cultures (including yogurt, buttermilk, kefir and cheese starters). The process by which UHT milk is pasteurized leaves the milk essentially dead for purposes of culturing and therefore you are likely to have less than satisfactory results when using it to make cultured foods.
However, 24 hours is pretty normal for how long it takes to culture kefir.

Also, dairy kefir grains don't multiply as much as water kefir grains.

Lots of good Q&A here:
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/Mil...rains-p13.html

·
Registered
243 Posts
I find that if I forget to change my milk in a timely manner (say after 24 hours....usually a bit longer in the winter) that when I finally do they reproduced TONS! One time I accidentally left them for 3 days and I had a ton of grains. I'm sure that's not good for them but they're still kicking.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read about the milk I buy, they use a low temperature pasteurization process. I do have water kefir grains, they were only 5 feet away, so I moved the milk ones to a diffeent room today, maybe there was too much competition.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree--you have to keep changing the milk quickly once it turns to kefir. My milk turns overnight with my grains, but I tend to stick it in the fridge to hold for a few days or more at a time, and my grains don't grow very quickly. My mom, on the other hand, is making new kefir pretty much on a daily basis, and her grains grow at an unbelievable rate! Incidentally, she and I both use ultra-pasteurized organic milk (because I only have a limited supply of raw milk that I like to use "as is"), and it works great. I figure if I turn it to kefir, it must be a lot healthier than it was in milk form!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been using the same milk kefir grains for over two years now and they've never multiplied, not even a little. I generally use organic pasturized **** milk and it usually takes between 18 and 24 hours to culture. I've occasionally used raw whole milk or goat milk but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'd be a whole lot less stressed if my grains multiplied. There've been too many close calls when a LO has grabbed the unstrained kefir by mistake!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.