Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is diagnosed with possible Hirschsprung's Disease or possibly just a hypertonic anal sphincter - after all these months we still dont' really have any definite answers. Anyway, he's still having a lot of pain and trouble going to the bathroom. He's currently taking Lactulose syrup as a stool softener to help him. We met with his GI yesterday who thinks maybe the Lactulose is causing excess gas and cramps (which he says is a possible side effect - nice to be told this after he's been taking it for 5 months! Especially when I asked in the beginnign if it could be making his issues worse!)<br><br>
Anyway, they suggested we switch to 1/2 tsp of milk of magnesia once a day. Anyone know about the safety/ side effects of this one? They again said he should be fine/no side efffects, but I'm not as trusting anymore.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
We have only used milk of magnesia as prep for our colonoscopy so I don't know about long term use. I'm assuming they've already done the barium enema, what about the rectal biopsy?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, we've had xrays, barium enema/lower GI, anal rectal manometry (abnormal), two rectal suction biopsies (normal), surgical biopsy (normal), an MRI, a urodynamic study, and one round of botox injections (mildly helpful for 3 weeks).<br><br>
I'm pretty fed up at this point with the lack of a diagnosis after almost 10 months. With the help of his ped we are seeking a 2nd opinion. All the tests point to no HD or a case so mild that he shouldn't be screaming every time he has to go.<br><br>
We're just tring to make it as easy as possible for him right now, and are going to try the botox route again as that helped at least a little for a while.<br><br>
He makes chewing motions whenever we eat and tries to grab our food. He seems ready to start solids in every way, but every time we do he's in pain for the next several days.<br><br>
Our hopes are that switching the meds will relieve his pain and that with some time and the botox he'll be able to work past the tight sphincter and have an easier time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts