Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling a little with dd (2.5) and sharing. Totally age appropriate, but I feel like I am not handling it in the best way. I understand that toddlers need to feel in control of their world & by claiming things as their own that it helps them form their world. BUT dd will grab things out of my hands & say "MINE!" (& look me in the eye waiting for some kind of response) I usually tell her that I do not like that & take back whatever it is. Sometimes I just ignore her (which I am sure is not the right thing to do, but I don't always feel like going in to it with her, aka easier) Sometimes I offer an alternative like if she takes my book I will say "This is mama's book but you can have this one"

She has a little friend who she spends a lot of time with (I watch him/friend watches dd a few days a week) he is 4 months younger. If he is playing with a toy she will come over & take it, he then takes it back & so on until it escalates into me removing her from the situation to cool off (with me) for a minute. I will also offer other toys or turn taking & I always ask before he comes over if there is anything she would like to NOT share & she always says no. Again I know that this is totally age appropriate I just feel like I could use some good ideas to help me through this. I am an only child (37 years old but still
) & I don't really like to share either so it is hard & I am learning as I go.

Also dd is speech delayed so communication is limited on her end.
Thanks

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ds has a hard time with this too, as I'm sure every toddler does. What I've found works best for him is to really emphasize turn taking. If he takes something I'm using, I say "It's mama's turn now. When I'm done it will be your turn." If he doesn't want to give me my turn I say, "okay it can be your turn now and when you're done it will be my turn."

When we're out around other kids we constantly talk about taking turns. Before and after we go out as well. Ds will often run up to a child who's playing with something he wants and will try to forcefully take it away. I intervene and say "ollie, it's so and so's turn, and when s/he's done, it will be your turn." Sometimes this results in tears, but lately he's been really good about giving the toy back and waiting his turn.

I don't know if this helps at all, but it's really done wonders with my kid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.