Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. I hate the word "mine". I use it as rarely as possible around dd. My granny (who lives with us and it 78) is totally materialistic and possessive, I think "mine" is her favorite word. Of course, dd has picked up this wonderful word because granny says it to her all the time ("Leave that alone, that's Mine!") So now dd has started snatching things and yelling "Mine!"
: I really don't like that this word is so common for her. I don't want her to place as much emphasis on possession as dear old granny does. I grew up with this woman, I love her and owe her more than I will ever be able to repay, but sometimes she's drives me up a frickin wall.

So, any ideas on how to teach dd that "Mine!" isn't important?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't have any advice for you - sorry! But I am going through the same thing. It totally drives me nuts too. DD learned it from a seemingly harmless book and from being around some older kids who were saying it. Now she is using the word among her friends.
The only thing to do that I can think of is say something like, "A friendlier way to say that is (fill in the blank.)" So that's what I've been doing. If anyone else has some better ideas I'm all ears too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.