Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you deal with a toddler who yells "mine"? My dd is two and honestly is great at sharing. That said, she will often yell mine (in a mean way) to me, dh and other kids. For instance, she'll be eating a cracker and will yell "mine" or "my cracker" when I walk in the room. I don't want her cracker nor do I arbitrarily just take things away from her. Another example: we'll go to the playground and she'll bring a stuffed dog or bear. When another child comes within 10 feet of her, she'll yell, "mine". Most of the time the child isn't even interested in what she has. Last example: I had some music playing for her this morning (she is a music lover), my dh walked into the room and she yelled, "no, my music". All he wanted to do was sit on the couch and put his shoes on. I've tried explaining to her that it can hurt feelings when she yells and asked her to stop (this usually works with other things) but she continues yelling. Anyone else ever experienced this? What did you do? TIA

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Well, for "my cracker!" I'd probably say, "yep, that's right; that's your cracker."<br><br>
For the music, I'd probably say, "we're all really enjoying the music! Thank you for sharing it with us."<br><br>
Which might help, or might not. I guess my main point is that I don't sweat the "mine" thing; I just let her know when she's right--and gently let her know when she's not: "No, those are Daddy's keys, not yours. Daddy's sharing the keys with you."<br><br>
My dd's big thing right now (besides "no" and "mine") is "go." As in "mommy, get out of the chair so <b>I</b> can sit in it" or "get out of my way, I'm coming through." And then there's "no go": "no, I'm not going to let you stop me from jumping up and down on the crib mattress. <i>Step away from the crib, Mom!</i>"

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
My 2-year-old is really into "mine" right now too. I translate it as "I really like this!" or "I want this!" not necessarily a literal declaration of ownership. So although it can be loud and repetitive, I try to just react by saying something like "Halsea really likes that toy!" or "When Sorin is done, you may have a turn."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts