Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I have three children, and we are expecting twins in February. I have had a lot of complications with the previous births, and would like some insight to minimizing risk and unnecessary risk in our impending birth. Here is a short history
child #1-high blood pressure, did six weeks of bed rest, and a four day pitocin induction. Not much fun, but managed without pain medicine. 6 pounds 3 ounces
child #2-gest. diab. controlled with diet. Normal birth except for the placenta that came out in several parts! 6 pounds 15 ounces.
child #3-no high blood pressure or sugar issues (they checked twice) I was measuring large, and they suspected a large baby. I was having contractions 5-6 min apart for 4-5 hours a day then stopping. Finally at 41.5 weeks, we went in. When water broke, there was meuconium. His head was born fairly easily, but when it came out, my husband said that it literally unfolded. The cord was wrapped around his neck three times, so they cut and clamped. His shoulders wouldn't come out. They had me go to my side, and it took five minutes to get his shoulders out (one of his clavicals broke in the process) Spent a week in the NICU with asperation pneumonia and a hole in the lung. He weighed 11 pounds, 6 ounces. No, that is not a typo!
In this pregnancy (I am 16 weeks today) the OB has said that due to prior complications, and twins, that we have a high risk for a cs. We start visiting with a perinatologist next week in addition to our ob.
If any of you have any thoughts/opinions, I would love to have them. To tell you the truth, after the last birth, I am scared to death!
Thank you-
Sarah

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I would love to dialogue with you about this.

I am neither a midwife nor a doula but I had twins in December. I went to term, over in fact, and had two big babies. my boy was 8 pounds ten ounces and 21 inches and my girl was 8 pounds three ounces. My dd came first and was frank breech and my son came second and was a footling breech.

There were complications in the pregnancy and some at birth but I had excellent nutritional care and trained midwives at birth. One, in particular, has phenominal instincts and her training plus her heart really was essential at birth.

SO, there is much to share with you and I'd love to journey along with you until February and beyond.

I need to go and nurse now but I want to tell you that you really can push away that fear. It will take time and meditation but I wrestled with that same thing throughout. What I had to do was to take each day and make each decision out of love and trust NOT out of fear. Eventually, the fear dissapated!

Okay, it is VERY important that you drink over a gallon of pure water a day. CUt out any and ALL sugar and up your protein intact to at least 120 g per day. (I actually had to go to 150). You will discover what your body needs. But sugar, refined foods, processed breads, etc just will have to wait. ANd trust me it is worth it.

Elizabeth Noble has a great book, Having Twins.

And Anne Frye's section on twins in Holistic Midwifery was soemthing I memorized.

Let's dialogue more and I will address some of your other concerns. Off to nurse.

Peace and Blessings,

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Hi there

I am also having twins, though it is my first pregancy (well other than a miscarriage at 11 weeks in March). Hotmamacita (!) was very helpful to me in deciding what I should do. I was determined to have a home birth then it was twins and my midwife says she does not deliver twins at home. She is great but that was a disappointment. I asked what she would do if it were her though and she said she would have them at home! Anyhow I found a second midwife who is happy to deliver twins. I found calling around and even contacting doctors, there is so much fear and negativity attached to twins (even though it is a perfectly natural phenomena that has been taking place for millenia!). I was really getting caught in the fear and so I said STOP! Then looked within myself and decided to make my own choices and not be pressurized into anything I did not want (or need.) I know home birth for twins is not for everyone and might not happen to me, but I also know it is my body and so being as educated as possible on interventions and what you REALLY need can allow us to say yes or no, and hopefully avoid unneccesary interventions. I hope you manage to have a good healthy twin birthing, and avoid a c-section. The impression I get is they jump in there without giving us a chance to deliver normally, and I personally do not want that to happen to me. Actually I will have to be dragged to the hospital myself to get there! But I do think there are responsive doctors (and especially midwives which is my personal choice) who will listen to you and respect your decisions. I hope it does work out for you the way you want. I am also very scared of interventions (more than birth) just because of what I know and have read since becoming pregnant. I also realize we tend to create what we fear most, so am working with hypno-birthing to allay and release my fears prior to birth, as I know that will help not only me but my babies too, and definitely help with an easier birthing process. I am also reading an excellent book (recommended by HotMamaCita) called Birthing From Within. Anyhow just my personal insights but hope something is helpful!

Anna

PS All that protein really is essential! Ewww!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts