Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited my aunt this weekend and her 11 month old who just recently "weaned herself" (thats a whole other story) and we were discussing breastfeeding. She formula fed her first two but then had a midwife/hospital birth for the 3rd (20 years later, she's 43) and chose to breastfeed. Baby slept 12 hours a night from birth and seemed "hungry" during the day. So my aunt supplemented with formula. Baby would nurse half the time/formula half the time. My daughter has been doing this thing where when she nurses, at the beginning of a feed, she grunts alot and squirms. I'm not quite sure why she does it, perhaps that she is teething and the nursing is bothering her gums, or maybe she just is really tired (she does it more when she's tired) and is too lazy to nurse. Anyway, my aunt and grandma start on me about how maybe she's "hungry" so perhaps I should try giving her a bottle after the feed and see if she calms down. My first reaction was anger. Then I explained that ofcourse she would gobble a bottle down because she can't regulate the flow, and if she is gaining weight, learning new things, and looking well, and having enough poopy/wet diapers every day then I'm sure she is getting enough. I cited research. THey just laughed me off! I was so mad.

Got me thinking about things....I can't believe that my grandma (who breastfed her 7 children all for at least a year) and my aunt (who is now pro-bf) would recommend something like that. Especially the thing about the bottle. I said to my grandma who is a devout christian, don't you believe that God designed us good enough to have adequate milk? Or do you think god designed bottles!? It made me sad that people who advocate breastfeeding would suggest things like this. I thought of all my female cousins who are not so gutsy and informed as I tend to be, and what will happen when they have kids and are surrounded by my grandma and aunt claiming to be pro-bf and shoving misinformation like that down their throats. No WONDER women quit breastfeeding so easily.

It just made me sad to think about. Anyone else had experiences like this with "pro-bf" people?

·
Registered
729 Posts
yeah. a friend of mine who doest have kids yet but plans to bf told me something along the lines of wean before they get teeth or your nipples will be hard enough to grate cheese.
I told her to ask any guy, there is a BIG diffrence between sucking and chewing.
she did tell me one good thing though, she said it takes 6 weeks to get used to breastfeeding.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tash11
yeah. a friend of mine who doest have kids yet but plans to bf told me something along the lines of wean before they get teeth or your nipples will be hard enough to grate cheese.
I told her to ask any guy, there is a BIG diffrence between sucking and chewing.
she did tell me one good thing though, she said it takes 6 weeks to get used to breastfeeding.
My aunt told me something like that too! She told me to only bf for 6 months, cause after that they get teeth, and "you don't want to even mess around with that".
:

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frontierpsych
Why do people think that when they get teeth they stop sucking and start gnawing?
I think its because when a ff baby teeths, they tend to bite on the nipple of bottles andpull really hard. FFers probably watch that and think, "gosh, they would be doing that to MY nipple"

nak

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
maybe a few times, but most of the moms I know who bf don't let the kid just sit there and chew, it gets taken care of.

But yeah, I hate that I'm pro bf, but dont NIP/bf past *insert random age or stage of development*/let the baby control it's schedule/bf at night....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.